ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Monitor recommendations for web videos? Also monitor calibration

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin ParsonsMonitor recommendations for web videos? Also monitor calibration
by on May 24, 2016 at 7:37:03 pm

I'm looking to buy a new monitor soon and was hoping to find some recommendations. I assume 4k is a must have even though I haven't worked with content that large yet but more than anything I'm curious about color representation and how you approach it with content that will never be "broadcast". Sure my videos could be viewed on a TV since Vimeo and YouTube apps are built into everything now but I assume the vast majority of the viewers will be watching on their computer.

Do you use a broadcast monitor to color grade your content even if going to be web only? If not, what monitor are you using and why? What about a monitor calibration tool like the Datacolor Spyder 5 Pro? Does that do anything for us video people or is that only really useful for photographers working in CMYK?

Right now the displays I'm using are a Dell 3007WFPHC and a 2012 iMac – these monitors are not compatible color wise and I can watch video/images change in color representation after I drag them from one monitor to the next and this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Right now I have no clue which monitor is giving me a truer representation of actual image (I assume it's the iMac since most people are probably watching on Macs now).

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Monitor recommendations for web videos? Also monitor calibration
by on May 25, 2016 at 3:57:21 pm

if you're just coloring for web, sRGB 8bpc gamut is all you need the monitor to support. I wouldn't blow money on a P3 10 bit monitor, just say'in. just buy a spyder for calibration.

the 4k option will be a big jump in price, so plan accordingly if you have to go that route. it is possible to grade 4k on a non-4k monitor.

if you do have money for it, a blackmagic decklink 4k card, 10 bit Rec 2020 broadcast quality monitor, 10 bit nVidia card etc. but I'm assuming you're looking for bargain options.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]