ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Dynamic link between Premiere Pro & After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel HercockDynamic link between Premiere Pro & After Effects
by on May 24, 2016 at 8:30:03 am

Been looking everywhere for an answer.

After clicking "replace with after effects composition" I've edited my clip(s) in AE, occasionally cutting the clip or making the clip longer. I save the project but when I return to premiere pro the clip has not been changed as I have expected. If I have made the clip any shorter or longer than the original, there is a black screen or I can't make the clip longer in Premiere (it will be black).
How do I make the clip in premiere appear the way i have edited it in AE?

p.s. pretty new to premiere pro & after effects

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Dynamic link between Premiere Pro & After Effects
by on May 24, 2016 at 2:39:07 pm

Hi Rachel...

When you do a replace the clips like you have...

It's helpful to think of the clip object in the timeline of PPro like a window peering into and see the resulting frames of what's happening in the After Effects composition at the corresponding time.

So the Obejcts themselves: the clip in the Ppro time line and the layer in AE are two independent objects. Trimming an AE layer will not shorten or lengthen the corresponding clip in PPro....

Think of of doing work in AE and then just passing those resulting frames out where PPro can pick up the resulting frame and show it in the Ppro timeline.

If you trim a layer shorter than before...PPro will see black where those frames were, because there's no frames feeding the clip obejct at that same point in time.

If you shorten a Comp in AE, PPro will likely show you diagnol lines (I think) on the timeline, because the comp object in AE doesn't have enough "media" to fill the time legnth of the PPro Clip object.

If you lengthen a layer in AE to be longer than the comp it's in, if you don't make the comp it's in longer....you will not be able to trim the clip in PPro because the clip length is tied to the AE comp, not the layer within it.

Hope that helps some....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Robert WithersRe: Dynamic link between Premiere Pro & After Effects
by on May 25, 2016 at 10:27:17 pm

Thanks, Alex. This is a very useful perspective.
It's so helpful to understand the principles behind a procedure.
Most training and documentation doesn't offer this.
Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]