ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Border Extension for Portrait Photos

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex KerezyBorder Extension for Portrait Photos
by on May 21, 2016 at 7:03:48 pm

Hi,
I am creating a video with both still photos and video clips. Some of the videos are portrait oriented.
While the portrait pictures are scaled height-wise, which makes sense, there is obviously empty/dead space to the left and right of these pictures.

Is there a way to "extend" the left and right border of a still photo that's portrait oriented????

I don't want to put in a stupid black background, or the previous picture's background, or some generic background --- what looks the most appealing is if the side borders of the photo are extended out and blurred. I've done this manually before and it just makes the most sense visually.

I realize this doesn't sound like high-end movie production here, but I think a lot people run into this problem making movies from pictures.

SoOOOo.... is there any automated way in Premiere Pro to extend the left and right borders of a picture that's oriented portrait??

Thanks In Advance - for Sensible Solutions!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Border Extension for Portrait Photos
by on May 22, 2016 at 2:47:10 am

At my TV station, they get a fair amount of 4x3 video. To get it to 16x9 they use two layers. The top one is 4x3. The bottom one is the same video, stretched horizontally and blurred. sometimes thy darken the bottom layer, too.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex KerezyRe: Border Extension for Portrait Photos
by on May 22, 2016 at 12:45:18 pm

Thanks - good idea. I figured I wasn't the only one who ran into this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]