ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

5.1 Surround

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Klassen5.1 Surround
by on May 19, 2016 at 11:52:03 pm

We’ve successfully tested our 7.1 system, speaker by speaker, from the Mac / Utilities / Audio MIDI Setup, but running into a problem when playing content:

We have an Onkyo receiver that's showing the proper surround signals coming in from test video from both QuickTime and YouTube (the receiver automatically recognizes and adapts to the signal coming in), but it’s only playing in stereo on the speakers. It sounds great but it’s only in stereo. I haven’t been able to figure this out. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Klassen
CableLabs
Associate Media Engineer
Advanced Video Lab
4K : HDR : WCS : HFR : VR : AI

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: 5.1 Surround
by on May 19, 2016 at 11:59:06 pm

How are you connecting from the mac to the receiver?

If you connect a blu-ray player with a 5.1 movie in the
exact same manor, is it in stereo or 5.1?

Return to posts index

Eric KlassenRe: 5.1 Surround
by on May 20, 2016 at 3:00:09 am
Last Edited By Eric Klassen on May 20, 2016 at 3:10:31 am

Chris,
The reason we got the Onkyo TX-NR3030 was for a 7.2.4 Atmos system that plays from our Blue-Ray, it's a great system. It also plays standard surround, I'm not sure if the DVDs we've played had 7.1 or 5.1, but it's definitely surround and the system has always handled what ever it received.

We're connected by HDMI from the MacPro into the Onkyo, and by HDMI into a video switcher that sends the signal to a 4K theater, ultimately turning a large 4K tv into another monitor for the MacPro. We need to play a 4K ProRes 422 Quicktime file with 5.1 sound in the theater...we've got it all worked out except for this surround issue.

- Eric

Eric Klassen
CableLabs
Associate Media Engineer
Advanced Video Lab
4K : HDR : WCS : HFR : VR : AI

Return to posts index

by on May 21, 2016 at 5:25:41 pm

Sounds like the connections are in order.

I would next verify your channel routing in premiere.

Surround stems should all be in a multichannel sequence (6 mono channels for 5.1) then in the mixer window route each track to outputs 1/2. 3/4. 5/6 then pan each one left/right.

Are you seeing audio metering in 5.1 in premier?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: 5.1 Surround
by on May 22, 2016 at 12:05:30 am

[Eric Klassen] "We're connected by HDMI from the MacPro into the Onkyo"

You need an audio device that can output multiple channels out from Premiere. You need to have the needed amount of channels and you need to set them up correctly in the audio preferences.

Return to posts index

by on May 23, 2016 at 3:50:39 pm

Tero, is the mac he has, incapable of multi-channel audio over hdmi?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: 5.1 Surround
by on May 23, 2016 at 6:28:47 pm

Integrated sound cards usually don't show up as multi channel in Premiere. You could run an HDMI over and output Dolby Digital/DTS/whatever standard blu-ray/DVD audio formats out as is. Premiere outputs are expecting uncompressed outputs so your basic soundcards don't usually have that.

I've used Blackmagic Decklink SDI -> HDlink -> 6 x RCA out to a receiver/Multimax system and it has worked nicely.

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2016 at 4:15:59 pm

sure (I've got a Kona-3G myself) but I'd be surprised if the MacPro couldn't do multichannel hdmi out.

then again...maybe not. heheh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]