ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Does a file size reduce when you edit off parts of it?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke SwedenDoes a file size reduce when you edit off parts of it?
by on May 19, 2016 at 8:20:52 pm

This is another of those questions that I just couldn't put into a sentence Google could understand.

If you import a 4 gig video file into Premiere Pro, for example, and edit half off, is the file still 4 gigs? Now, please don't say it depends on where most of that file size is coming from. Let's pretend that the 4 gigs is spread evenly out over the entire 2 minute clip. Now, I edit out 1 minute of video. Does the clip now "weigh" 2 gigs? I ask because I've noticed that no matter how I remove video from a clip, whether with the razor, or shrinking from the beginning or end of the clip with the arrow tool, whether in the source monitor or the timeline, I can always add the edited parts back, meaning it's still there, only hidden.

So, is there a way to remove the excess file size when I edit out unwanted pieces of a clip? Or is it "removed" when I encode with AME?

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Does a file size reduce when you edit off parts of it?
by on May 19, 2016 at 9:21:33 pm

You're not actually editing the video Duke... You're only editing metadata (data about data) about the video.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Does a file size reduce when you edit off parts of it?
by on May 19, 2016 at 10:14:47 pm

So does that mean I'm only rendering (encoding) the metadata that remains in the timeline? Am I making the file size to be rendered lighter? I know you prefer I figure things out for myself. Just thinking out loud. I guess I can import a video file, export it to "media" and check the file size, then cut off a chunk of the file and export to media again and compare file sizes. Thanks, brain! And David ;-)

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Does a file size reduce when you edit off parts of it?
by on May 19, 2016 at 11:23:29 pm

[Duke Sweden] "If you import a 4 gig video file into Premiere Pro, for example, and edit half off, is the file still 4 gigs?"

Yes. All NLEs are nondestructive which means the trimming, color correcting, cropping, etc., you do to a clip in the NLE has no impact on the actual clip that's sitting on your hard drive. As David said, you aren't editing the media itself that exists on your computer, you are editing a representation of that media inside your NLE. If you take a picture of your car and cut the picture in half your car still remains in one piece.

[Duke Sweden] "So, is there a way to remove the excess file size when I edit out unwanted pieces of a clip?"

Not really. The closest you can get is if you use the Project Manager in PPro you can tell it to make a copy of your project that does not contain the unwanted pieces of a clip, and then you could delete all your original media so you would just be left with what you have selected as 'good'. I wouldn't recommend doing that though.

[Duke Sweden] "Or is it "removed" when I encode with AME?"

When you encode something with AME you are creating a whole new, stand alone clip. You create something new, but the original pieces of media still exist on your computer untouched.

Return to posts index

by on May 20, 2016 at 1:06:20 am

Thanks, Andrew. I basically knew all of that. I'm an amateur, I make videos for myself using a consumer PC, which is why I'm always looking for ways to cut down on file sizes, and by extension render times. So I guess the only way to do so would be to render edited clips in a lossless codec and then use those in my project?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Does a file size reduce when you edit off parts of it?
by on May 20, 2016 at 2:03:29 am

there is a negligible performance change in isolating rendered clips replaced in the timeline(if codecs are the same and no effects). in fact, hunting through more clips in more places on the hard drive can actually increase render time microscopically due to random read/write times.

instead,

if you use supported smart render codecs, premiere will index the video and export without any recompression. this will be 12x faster for renders and faster editing/scrubbing as well. adobe prelude can transcode them all first.

smart render codecs:

AVC-Intra in MXF (located in Format > MXF OP1a)
DNxHD in MXF (located in Format > DNxHD MXF OP1a)
DNxHD in QuickTime.
ProRes in QuickTime.
Animation in QuickTime.
http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2012/10/11/smart-rendering-in-premiere-...

Return to posts index

by on May 20, 2016 at 11:24:49 am

Ah, thanks for that, Chris. One problem though. I can export a file as DNxHD in MXF (located in Format > DNxHD MXF OP1a) through Premiere Pro or AME, but I downloaded a trial of Prelude just this week specifically to do mass transcoding and, oddly enough, it would let me transcode in that codec. I tried another suggested codec (wmv) but those files were just as laggy as the .mov files straight from my camera.

Normally I'll google to find out why something like that happens, but this time I just dropped it. Now I'll look into it further. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Does a file size reduce when you edit off parts of it?
by on May 20, 2016 at 12:06:25 pm

WMV is a terrible editing codec and I wouldn't use that for anything nowadays (unless a client requests it for some reason). I'm seeing DNxHR/DNxHD MXF OP1a under my transcode formats in Prelude. There's also XDCAM HD 50 under the MXF OP1a format. It's pretty good and doesn't take a lot of space. If you're missing those then it might be some sort of licensing issue with the trial version.

Return to posts index

by on May 20, 2016 at 1:46:34 pm

Yeah, I thought wmv as a valid format had gone the way of bitmaps ;-)

No, I do have the DNxHR etc. codec. Prelude lets me choose it, but when I send it to AME to decode the files all throw an error message saying that it's not a valid codec, even though I can send a file from Premiere Pro to AME to encode as DNx... and it works with no problem. I'm not missing the codec. AME just doesn't seem to accept the command to encode as DNx from Prelude. Computers....grrrrrrrrr. ;-)

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Does a file size reduce when you edit off parts of it?
by on May 20, 2016 at 5:16:13 pm

to consolate space with handles and delete unused clips in sequence automatically

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/trim-or-copy-project.html

Return to posts index

by on May 20, 2016 at 5:28:33 pm

Yeah, this project is starting to get a bit unwieldy, but now I have a new problem. My cursor disappears when I place it over PPro with this project open. Only with this project open. I opened two other old projects and everything is fine, but his project I'm working on.....Grrrrr.... And it started right in the middle of the project so I have no idea what could be causing it. I hate to have to start over again. Man....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]