ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Interlaced type artifacts, PF30 footage in 29.97p AVCHD Timeline

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
M. BernardInterlaced type artifacts, PF30 footage in 29.97p AVCHD Timeline
by on May 17, 2016 at 2:54:25 am
Last Edited By M. Bernard on May 17, 2016 at 2:58:22 am

Hi! Ton of posts about this, but none of them address my issue..

I'm getting interlaced-type jagged line artifacts, in an AVCHD 1080p 29.97 progressive scan sequence, with PsF or progressive footage.

Notes: On import, the footage came in as 'interlaced', field order showing Upper Field First.
I highlighted all clips and modified->interpreted clips to conform to 'no fields', thinking I was conforming the PF30 (PsF) footage to be interpreted as the native 29.97p. This improved some visual resolution (jagged lines in text on the projection screen, and jagged lines with any edges, ie the podium, went away), but introduced interlacing style artifacts on anything moving, like hands and the paper.

1. Why am I getting these artifacts in a progressive timeline?
2. Also, I've read now about 'benign' and 'malignant' psf (...bizarre choice of terms there!) but everything I've come across suggested that platforms like PP were already interpreting incoming AVCHD PsF footage as progressive years ago.. So I'm wondering why my version of PP CC 2015 didn't not import this PF30 (PsF) as progressive 29.97 footage..

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Interlaced type artifacts, PF30 footage in 29.97p AVCHD Timeline
by on May 17, 2016 at 3:23:19 am

you're halfway there. you have to use a progressive sequence as well. and then render progressive.

Return to posts index

M. BernardRe: Interlaced type artifacts, PF30 footage in 29.97p AVCHD Timeline
by on May 17, 2016 at 3:56:16 pm

Thanks for the response Chris..

Sequences were all progressive, and I've done an exhausting variety of renders/exports in progressive formats.
My first screenshot shows a progressive sequence (doesn't it?)

(You can indeed see some evidence of interlaced sequences during my troubleshooting, in the project panel in that same screenshot, but all active sequences and exports pertinent to this problem had been set to progressive).

What next?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Interlaced type artifacts, PF30 footage in 29.97p AVCHD Timeline
by on May 18, 2016 at 4:22:47 am

if you open it in AE, does it have the same problem? put the 29.97 interpreted as upperfield into a 59.94 fps comp. each frame should not move from turning fields into frames. that would show if its really psf not interlaced 1080i, just say'in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]