ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

AVCHD in Premiere Pro CC problems

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce MooseAVCHD in Premiere Pro CC problems
by on May 17, 2016 at 2:20:05 am

I heard AVCHD is supposed to work in Premiere Pro CC. I'm importing the SD Card folder via the media browser. Sometimes it works fine and other times I have frame skips and playback errors. Why does this sometimes happen and not always. I've heard some people transcode to Pro Res on their Mac. I have an iMac 17 with 8GB of ram and a SSD external that I store my media on. It should be fast enough for AVCHD files right?

Bryce

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: AVCHD in Premiere Pro CC problems
by on May 17, 2016 at 2:55:52 am

AVCHD files are very small. they are limited by CPU decoding resources. When you go to a larger, less compressed format, you
have to playback more mb/sec. Have you tested prores yet?

Return to posts index

Bryce MooseRe: AVCHD in Premiere Pro CC problems
by on May 17, 2016 at 3:50:45 am

I have but I was told by another editor I shouldn't have to transcode and AVCHD should be fast enough.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: AVCHD in Premiere Pro CC problems
by on May 17, 2016 at 3:59:20 am

AVCHD is terrible and pretty much the only codec I would transcode.

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2016 at 4:16:30 am

okay, Can I import AVCHD files into Prelude and transcode there without frame skips?

Bryce

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2016 at 4:45:15 am

Transcoding should not drop frames. AVCHD just has a pretty bad realtime performance.

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2016 at 5:01:18 am

now here is a question. If I record natively at 35mbps and I transcode to Apple Pro Res 422 will it change the fact that it's a 35mbps file or will it keep it the same mbps? Do you recommend I transcode to 422 or 422HQ?

Bryce

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2016 at 6:38:21 am

Prores files will be bigger because you can't control their bitrate. It is controlled automatically by the codec. I would recommend Prores 422 over AVCHD.

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: AVCHD in Premiere Pro CC problems
by on May 17, 2016 at 2:26:50 pm

Before you spend a huge amount of time transcoding everything you shoot (which I rarely do), we haven't asked a few basic questions.

What is the graphics card on that iMac? How much RAM does it have?
Have you checked using the Apple tool Activity monitor to make sure you aren't running out of RAM? I've long ago had to upgrade to a minimum of 16 to effectively run CC.
I'm also curious about your choice of an SSD for external storage and whether it might be close to full. If you aren't aware of the limitations of SSDs, especially as they fill up, you should do a search on it. They are usually better for read conditions, like a primary drive with more static applications, than ever changing data. Not saying it might not be AVCHD, but there are a few things to suspect first.

I usually use AVCHD on my C100 and there is nothing that my iMac can't handle quite well. I have 2 GBs of video ram, 32GBs of system RAM and an very fast RAID 5 external non SSD as the work drive.

Hope this helps!

Al

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2016 at 3:00:57 pm

first thing is first. I'm very cheap. haha I don't have money for a Raid system. my SSD External is 1TB. It still have a good 700GB left on it. Here is the specs of my computer.

iMac 27 inch

Processor 3.4Ghz Intel Core i7

Memory 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048MB

I also have a fusion drive in my iMac.

Bryce

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2016 at 3:04:26 pm

Understood. Mine is the same. Only think to consider is adding RAM to the base. With that much space left on the SSD you should be fine.

Al

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2016 at 4:09:58 pm

so does less Ram mess up the AVCHD files? I sometimes have to edit footage given to me where the frame rates are different for each camera and I can never get all the cameras the same frame rate unless I transcode them all to pro res for example

Bryce

Return to posts index

Dan DeStefanoRe: AVCHD in Premiere Pro CC problems
by on May 17, 2016 at 4:07:24 pm

Hi! I just posted about this, actually. Long story short, Adobe dropped a big fat whopper of a lie when they claim that their timeline can handle any codec. It can't. Unless you want to watch slideshows when you're scrubbing for BROLL and wait at least a second every time you press play. (It adds up.) After cursing out Apple and Adobe, I decided to convert to ProRes and I have my sanity back.

Definitely convert, no question. Adobe knows their product can't handle all these codecs, that's why they're offering auto-proxy conversion in their next version. I have the exact iMac 27" you do, except I have 32GB of RAM and it still chugs like nobody's business using MXF or AVC or anything but ProRes, really.

Convert! Convert! Convert!

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2016 at 4:17:59 pm

Auto Proxy? You mean like how Apple Final Cut X auto makes proxy files? If so does it do it by making proxy files of a pro res file?

Bryce

Return to posts index

Dan DeStefanoRe: AVCHD in Premiere Pro CC problems
by on May 17, 2016 at 4:32:35 pm

There's a video about it on Adobe's YouTube page, but yea it essentially does that. And like i said earlier, I have the same computer as you do, but with a ton more RAM and it makes it no better. I have like, 10GB of RAM free and the program still runs like molasses unless I'm using ProRes.

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2016 at 5:55:02 pm

Can you link me to this video? I'm not finding it.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Jerry MichaelsRe: AVCHD in Premiere Pro CC problems
by on May 18, 2016 at 5:24:26 pm

I've always worked with AVCHD (from Sony and Canon cameras) directly in PP on Windows, even on my old laptop (dual-core i5 SB with 8 GB RAM and GeForce 410) it worked without a hitch. So maybe there's something wrong either with your machines, or with MacOS.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: AVCHD in Premiere Pro CC problems
by on May 18, 2016 at 7:14:40 pm

@ Jerry,

you using XAVC-S? that's long GOP interframe compression.
XAVC-I is intraframe.

I'm only asking because there's like 20 flavors out there and even after 3 years, there's a split about what works fluidly, even from adobe, :O

Return to posts index

by on May 18, 2016 at 8:20:14 pm

from my understanding there is a different compression of AVCHD based on what camera you have.

Bryce

Return to posts index

by on May 23, 2016 at 3:06:00 pm
Last Edited By Al Bergstein on May 23, 2016 at 3:06:59 pm

Just to clear something up, it's my belief that the RAM in the CPU (the 32GBs or whatever) is not what is determining how fast your footage runs, it's the RAM in the Graphic Card CPU. So if you have 512MB or 1 GB in a graphic card, it will likely not be optimal for playback. I had to move to a 2GB card to get it to play smoothly. I use Canon AVCHD footage. Having the timeline scrub the footage (play through it once to load it into memory) also helps speed it up on future runs through it. But transcode if you feel it's your best choice. It's only time, and if you are not being paid for the work it's just your time and not money. Or let the process run overnight.

Also, make sure that your footage is on a fast hard disk, preferably not the internal one! Also make sure that Pr is using your graphics card to process the footage and not RAM.

For those using a laptop that read this thread in the future, I disable "Automatic Graphics Switching" in the Energy Saver panel of System Preferences to help make sure I get full playback on the high performance card.

Al

Return to posts index

by on May 23, 2016 at 3:12:37 pm

Sorry, it's been a while since I read the whole post. I see you do have 2 GBs on your video card. So not sure why there is a problem, other than the notion that the SSD drive could be the factor. As mentioned, I usually put my project footage on a RAID 5 to optimize the playback and rendering times.

Al

Return to posts index

Bryce DouglassRe: AVCHD in Premiere Pro CC problems
by on Jul 26, 2016 at 8:51:58 pm

I also read something odd about every time you have to render an effect using sequence menu>Render that it degrades the AVCHD files. I have seen others edit AVCHD and when they render no quality is degraded. I don't know why that is for some people

Bryce

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]