ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

How does scaling nested sequences work?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kfredericksHow does scaling nested sequences work?
by on May 17, 2016 at 1:18:00 am

I have a CHILD sequence whose resolution is 1920x1080. All of the footage in this sequence is 3840x2160. All of the clips are scaled down 50%. This approach is used so that I can zoom and pan the footage as needed using SCALE and POSITION. Make sense? OK.

Now I take the above sequence and NEST it inside a PARENT sequence. The PARENT sequence is 1920x1080. I need this PARENT sequence because I want to apply effects to the entire sequence, not the individual clips.

So now I'm working exclusively with the PARENT sequence. I'm never going to touch the CHILD again.

So here is the question. To scale/zoom the footage from within the PARENT sequence, I'm going from 100% up to 200% scale. Under normal circumstances that would be a bad practice. But in my case my source footage in the CHILD sequence is 3840x2160. So 200% should actually be my "native/original" resolution. Right? Is Premiere smart enough to figure that out? Or is Premiere actually scaling down from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080 and then back up to 3840x2160?

I assume that Premiere can figure out that 50% x 200% is actually 100% and it works from there. But obviously I am not sure, which is why I'm asking you all. And if I'm wrong, then how exactly should I be doing this? And by THIS I mean, working with 4K footage in a 1080p sequence for the purpose of scaling and panning, while taking advantage of a nested sequence workflow.

Thanks for the insights!

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: How does scaling nested sequences work?
by on May 17, 2016 at 10:43:02 am

Hi...

As far as your parent sequence is concerned, the source material is 1920 x 1080.

It is not smart enough to delve 2 layers deep and scale at the source.

A couple of ways to handle this...

instead of nesting, you could try adjustment layers with effects to apply effects to the tracks beneath them...

but if you must nest...

then you can also simply use "flatten" to reveal those clips where you want to the latitude to do additional scaling...

to do this you will need to split the nest at those events....then right click and enable as multicam on that segment...then right click and "flatten"....this will pull the nested source into the parent timeline in place of the nest....

I know you are not multicam editing....but this is kind of a hack to get you the ability you want...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Keith FredericksRe: How does scaling nested sequences work?
by on May 17, 2016 at 1:17:18 pm

Not sure what I just did, but I think I replied incorrectly somehow.

Anyway, thank you Alex for helping me. Exactly what I was looking for.

Sometimes a fire extinguisher catches fire.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]