ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Proxy Editing Question - I am a bit confused!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julius MillerProxy Editing Question - I am a bit confused!
by on May 14, 2016 at 10:57:19 pm
Last Edited By Julius Miller on May 14, 2016 at 11:01:48 pm

Hi there

I have a question re editing with proxies in Adobe Premiere CC 2105.

Could not find exact response by searching posts.

I am just starting to edit with proxies as I am moving to shooting 4K so I am just doing some tests before I hit a proper project.

My issue is this.

I have shot in ProRess 4444 (1080) on Ursa Mini as a test.

I ingest clips with Prelude - the original camera masters and I make lower res proxies (mp4) in a separate folder. both clips have same file name other than file extension.

I create my Premiere project and import above clips.

I create a timeline with the original Prores file so settings are correct for final output. I then delete the clip and replace with my proxies and start editing.

All OK So FAR!!!

When edit complete I select the proxies in the project bin and choose "Make Offline" - the clips go red in the timeline and the clips are 'offline' in the project bin.

I then choose "Link Media" from the pop up and locate the original .mov files and select them.

The clips get filled in and my sequence is back.

What I get confused about is the proxy file that was 'offline' in the project bin is now 'restored' and if i right click on the clip in timeline and select reveal in project it points to this clip (the .mp4) so it looks like premiere is using that clip not the camera original higher res file? But if I right clip on a clip in the timeline and select 'reveal in finder' it points to the camera original file. So it appears it is using that? The clip name in the timeline also has the mp4 extension still not .mov as I would expect?

So my question is is this what is supposed to happen?

I assume it is using the correct file when I relink (i.e. the .mov file) as the timeline does not now have any render bars (cause the clip and sequence now match) but from all appearances it looks like it is using the .mp4 proxy file?

I am a bit confused!!

I just want to make sure that what I am doing is correct before starting a project for real.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Proxy Editing Question - I am a bit confused!
by on May 15, 2016 at 9:13:59 am

Hi...

You might try changing the name of the .mp4 folder after making the clips off line to prevent PPro for accidentally "finding" the mp4 proxies.

Also....moving that mp4 folder so that it is at the same level or above the folder containing the hi res material may help as well.

Are you using the link media window?
Maybe disabling file extension in the media file properties would help.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Julius MillerRe: Proxy Editing Question - I am a bit confused!
by on May 15, 2016 at 11:35:27 am

Thanks Alex

I have moved the proxy folder and even deleted it entirely!

I am using the link media window and file extensions is unchecked.

Like I said I think it is actually 'working' in that it is using the original file after linking and not the proxy file. It just does not look like it at first glance.

• When I first create a new timeline with the original clip - there are no render bars.
  • When i replace it with the proxy clip i get render bars (i assume cause the clip and sequence settings don't match?)
  • When i then take the proxies offline the clips go red in timeline
  • When i relink to the originals the render bars disappear.

This all seems fine except the clips are still called ***.mp4 in the sequence (not ***.mov) and the proxy clip that was offline in the project panel is now not offline anymore. But if i right click and select show in finder it shows me the .mov file.

I guess i just want confirmation that this is how it is supposed to work? And if not what I am doing wrong?

I have followed several tutorials etc and I am pretty sure I am doing it right?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Proxy Editing Question - I am a bit confused!
by on May 16, 2016 at 1:14:00 pm

OK....

so when you imported the file....

the CLIP NAMES in the project panel are .mp4

but if you show the media path they are linked to....they are actually attached to the .mov

This makes sense....as the clip name will inherit the initial file name on import....but the clip name is arbitrary....you can rename it manually....and relink to other media will not change the the clip name in the project panel...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]