ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro can't open DV clips from an exported FCP7 project.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason PerrymanPremiere Pro can't open DV clips from an exported FCP7 project.
by on May 12, 2016 at 12:21:07 am

Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked before, but after Googling and searching around I can't find anything here already.

OK so I got Premiere Pro CC 2015 installed and I've been exporting some timelines from FCP7 into PP to carry on from a FCP project which contained some DV files.

But Premiere Pro cannot open these files. In it's clip bins it just has a '?' for the clips, and on the timeline it shows that the clips are offline.

It's not a problem about getting the DV clips converted so that I can play them as a .mp4 and exporting them into PP as a fresh clip.

The problem is that I want PP to simply link back to the DV clips that are already there, and in the right spots and clip trims in the timelines - otherwise I will have to go back to exporting all the DV clips back in in their new conversions and I basically have to start from scratch, replacing all the original DV clips in the timeline one by one with the new converted clips.

This seems to be a disaster I can't avoid with the lack of solutions I've found online so far.

Can anyone help?

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Premiere Pro can't open DV clips from an exported FCP7 project.
by on May 12, 2016 at 12:47:46 am

DV? Standard definition? Or HDV...high Def DV? There's a difference, and major reason why you can't open HDV in PPro...if that is the case.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason PerrymanRe: Premiere Pro can't open DV clips from an exported FCP7 project.
by on May 12, 2016 at 12:52:46 am

Standard Definition (Sorry, I'll edit my original post to show this)

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Premiere Pro can't open DV clips from an exported FCP7 project.
by on May 12, 2016 at 1:36:38 am

Are you exporting self contained files or reference files??? Adobe will certainly not be able to support reference files.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Jason PerrymanRe: Premiere Pro can't open DV clips from an exported FCP7 project.
by on May 12, 2016 at 1:47:51 am

Not sure what you mean by either definition, sorry. Can you explain a bit more?

What I did to create each clip...

I fed SD tapes into Imovie, that made individual clips. I put those clips onto a DVD, then put all those clips into different folders on my external drive. If that helps?

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Premiere Pro can't open DV clips from an exported FCP7 project.
by on May 12, 2016 at 2:08:26 am

iMovie? Are they .DV? That's DV Stream, and really only iMovie can deal with those. FCP even has issues with .DV files. I thought you said they were captured in FCP...now you say iMovie then DVD... on DVDs as DATA files? DV is 13GB per hour, DVDs hold 4.7GB. Did you author them as DVD media?

Sorry...I'm lost.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2016 at 2:14:08 am

Sorry Shane. Yeah, that's the original path of the files that I'm dealing with.

1. Tape played into imovie and captured there.
2. Exported onto DVD as DV files.
3. DVD DV files put onto external.
4. DV files on external linked to FCP7.

They worked with FCP7 fine.

What I did next was to...

take some FCP7 timelines, export them as xml files into Premiere Pro.

But PP isn't playing any clip that was linked to the DV files as they sit on my external.

Does that help?

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: Premiere Pro can't open DV clips from an exported FCP7 project.
by on May 12, 2016 at 4:37:41 pm

do they have .dv or .mov extension?

can you open one in quicktime and does it play it?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Premiere Pro can't open DV clips from an exported FCP7 project.
by on May 13, 2016 at 2:56:26 am

Yeah, it helps me, and you won't like it. You'll have to put these clips int a ProRes 422 timeline, export them, and then edit in PP. You won't be able to use a edit timeline helper.

You can thank the person who thought cutting in iMovie was a good idea.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]