ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Possible to sync video with audio from a .wav file, or...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke SwedenPossible to sync video with audio from a .wav file, or...
by on May 8, 2016 at 3:17:21 am

Do I need something like Plural Eyes? I've synced to videos from a two camera shoot using the audio track, but I've never had a separate .wav audio track to do it with. Can Premiere Pro sync .mov and .wav files from the audio without a 3rd party plug in like Plural Eyes?

Return to posts index

Kannan RaghavanRe: Possible to sync video with audio from a .wav file, or...
by on May 8, 2016 at 4:30:20 am

You can use 'merge clips' inside PrPro. But I usually use Plural Eyes for this. ver 4 works inside PrPro too:)

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Possible to sync video with audio from a .wav file, or...
by on May 8, 2016 at 7:45:07 am

Premiere Pro has PluralEyes functionality built in. Highlight all the clips you need, right click, "make multi-cam source sequence" and in the thread below Herb talks about the differences between the different audio setting options.
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/975940#976003

I wouldn't suggest using 'merge clip' as that can cause problems such as being unable to use the match frame feature to match back to the source clip.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Possible to sync video with audio from a .wav file, or...
by on May 8, 2016 at 11:12:14 am

Yikes, $299 bucks! I think I'll do it by ear for now.
Andrew, I'm talking about syncing a video with (poor sounding) audio to an audio track from a digital voice recorder. Does that work the same as syncing multiple camera sources?

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Possible to sync video with audio from a .wav file, or...
by on May 8, 2016 at 4:38:04 pm

[Duke Sweden] "Does that work the same as syncing multiple camera sources?"

Yes, it uses the audio to do the sync so as long as the camera(s) are recording sound too you are good to go.

Return to posts index

by on May 8, 2016 at 10:32:13 pm

ok, thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Possible to sync video with audio from a .wav file, or...
by on May 9, 2016 at 3:10:14 pm

I've always just done it visually, match up the wave forms between the camera audio and external recording. Of course, it certainly helps to start with a point of reference. With a wedding ceremony, I might use the start of a song, or the minister saying "Welcome...".

Find that commonality on both recordings, get them close that way, then make the audio tracks fat to show the wave forms and zoom in to frame level and match the two together visually.

Then if there is an echo between the two tracks, I will change the timeline view to "Audio Units" which allows zooming in beyond the limits of 30 or 60 fps, and being able to zoom into the audio timing level (48000 per second!!!), then I can really match them up perfectly.

This is not something I would try to do for sync-sound for multiple clips, I just do it for long-single recordings like a stage event or wedding ceremony.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2016 at 5:21:40 pm

Thanks, Jeff. Yeah my videos are actually easy to sync up since I can do a loud clap after a silent pause and sync it that way.

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2016 at 5:27:43 pm

Hi Duke,

Most of the time when I sync two audio sources, they need to run for an hour or more and what I've found is that two cameras will sync perfectly, even up to 2.5 hours, but if one audio recording is from a portable audio recorder, it will drift and not stay in sync with the camera.

One solution might be to adjust the playback speed of the audio clip ever so slightly, but I haven't tried that I just put a Razor cut in the .wav audio every so often and tweak the position by a frame or so as needed when the lip sync starts getting sloppy.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2016 at 6:00:44 pm

My video clips are rarely longer than 30 seconds. I guess I won't know how big a problem this will be until my Tascam DR-05 comes Thursday. Working on an episode for my comedy channel with a lot more dialog than usual. Might as well jump in head first ;-)

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2016 at 6:03:00 pm

The DR-05 is the unit I have also! Sync was horrible on project last weekend. I don't recall having such bad sync with previous uses, but I don't do much video these days and many months pass between uses, or once a year even...

Jeff

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2016 at 6:10:46 pm

For interviews/in-studio work, I use a wired lavaliere mic from Radio Shack, along with a headphone extender cable (about $40 for both) and plug the mic directly into camera mini mic input. I get excellent sound, synced right onto the video, no messing around.

The portable recorder comes out only for wedding and stage events

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2016 at 6:18:00 pm

That's the setup I've been using for the past week, a Senal shotgun mic, plugged into a 25' cable, and into the camera. Actually come to think of it I've only shot a test video and played with the audio. Better than having the mic 8 ft away but still less than professional sounding. So I'll give the DR-05 a shot. If it doesn't work out I have 60 days to return it, but from what I've heard of it on youtube it sounds great (except for the few who don't know how to record decent sound!).

I'll update with my results when I have something to put up.

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2016 at 6:21:56 pm

How do you plan on using the Tascam? Built-in mic? One typically needs a lav mic to record good speech (short of having a talented union boom operator on the payroll). I noticed a lot of echo during your "amusement park video" and you may still get some of that with a lav due to room acoustics, but should be less obvious with a lav.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2016 at 7:41:34 pm

That was reverb. To simulate the depths of hell ;-)

I was going to do two samples, one with the built in mics and one with the Senal shotgun mic plugged into the Tascam. I really don't have much trouble with echo or natural reverb, it's more the tonal quality of the voices. They lack presence. I intend to place the Tascam nearby when using the built in mics, and then hang the shotgun over the top of my greenscreen and try that, hence my decision to keep the 25' cable I recently bought.

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2016 at 7:44:16 pm

btw, the only room big enough to set up my green screen "studio" has a ceiling that's 8' on one side and 20' on the other. An acoustical nightmare.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]