ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

How can I create video blocks (including effects, masks, etc.) that I can reuse in all my projects?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier BonetHow can I create video blocks (including effects, masks, etc.) that I can reuse in all my projects?
by on May 2, 2016 at 8:43:00 pm

Hello, guys!
I've a workflow question. I've an intro/outro that use green screen keying to appear gradually over the video content, but they require some masking as well and some background music that must continue throughout the video but is modulated up during the into/outro, etc. Now, these blocks will be used almost daily in different videos and I would like to automate this process as much as possible, so as not to have to do it almost from scratch every single day, importing the blocks, setting some presets AND copy/pasting what can't be preset, etc.
I can preset the Ultra Key configuration, naturally. If I could preset everything into one preset and then just drag/drop, that'd be great. But what about the masking and etc.? That can't be preset. So how can I create reusable video blocks out of the intro/outro that I can just bring into a project every single time without all that hassle? I'm sure it must be possible... I'm just not finding out how to do it!
Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How can I create video blocks (including effects, masks, etc.) that I can reuse in all my projects?
by on May 2, 2016 at 9:54:12 pm

You'd probably have better luck duplicating the edit timeline. You can then replace the old clip with the new one. Set the in-point on the new clip first.

This assumes that everything times out the same: the green screen lighting remains consistent, the audio levels don't have to be tweaked, the timing doesn't vary.... you have a lot of unanticipated obstacles to automation, I think.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Xavier BonetRe: How can I create video blocks (including effects, masks, etc.) that I can reuse in all my projects?
by on May 3, 2016 at 12:03:17 am

Hi, Dave, thanks for the response!
I'm adding a diagram that will perhaps explain the situation a little better!

So, the two blocks, intro and outro, will never change. They're represented as they sort-of look. I've animated these in After Effects and this animation is of a complex kind that could never be reproduced in Premiere. The green in the background should become transparent, and it does, the problem is that it also takes away the green from the logo! And there's nothing I can do about the logo. The logo also has blue, so it's the same issue with using blue in the background (plus, the end result isn't as good). To be brief, the logo and images from the intro/outro are so colorful there's no one color that can be used as a background that is not somehow repeated in the foreground.

So what I'm thinking is I could apply Ultra Key and then mask in the green parts I want in Premiere. I can follow them as they move around the screen; this'll be a tiresome job but I hope I could do this only once and then just preset these modification or something similar. That would also help me with the background music, as I could have it set up so the levels automatically go up and down for the portion where the intro and outro play (the outro would probably have to be done manually, which is no problem; but at least the intro could be automated, I think).

I could set these block as a separate importable project (can this be done, like in AE?) but it seems like an impractical workaround, and that Pr should have a way of doing this. Otherwise (and I realize this is a question for the AE forum) is there a way to get this animated footage from AE to Pr without the background?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: How can I create video blocks (including effects, masks, etc.) that I can reuse in all my projects?
by on May 3, 2016 at 10:16:48 am

Hi....

instead of rendering your intro and outro over green...

just render them out of AE in a video format that supports Alpha (transparency).

Quicktime as ProRes with Alpha enabled
Or
GoPro Cineform with alpha

This way you just layer them in PPro, no Chroma Keying necessary.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Xavier BonetRe: How can I create video blocks (including effects, masks, etc.) that I can reuse in all my projects?
by on May 3, 2016 at 11:34:58 am

Alex! You have made my life 1000 times easier! You've no idea how many times I've had to use this "green screen" workaround to end up with less than desirable results! With your answer: those days are gone! So I'm eternally grateful! Thank you very much!
P.S. Will this also work for Final Cut Pro?

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: How can I create video blocks (including effects, masks, etc.) that I can reuse in all my projects?
by on May 3, 2016 at 1:09:13 pm

Absolutely!

glad to help.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved