ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Installed 2nd HDD, Renders now MUCH slower

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke SwedenInstalled 2nd HDD, Renders now MUCH slower
by on Apr 29, 2016 at 6:53:39 pm

It's not a RAID configuration. My workstation, once again, was crazy slow so I returned it and decided to try and soup up my consumer PC. I pulled a Seagate HDD out of an old computer, now I have two HDD's. As a test I'm rendering a video I've done about 5 times previously while tweaking it. Each time it took about 38-42 minutes to render. This time, just as a test, I'm rendering it to the new HDD which has nothing on it, and it's at 2:09 and counting.

Am I doomed to re-read "War and Peace" while rendering in the future!?!

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Installed 2nd HDD, Renders now MUCH slower
by on Apr 29, 2016 at 7:08:42 pm

Hey Duke, depends on what and how you are rendering. Some effects, (if any) can be quite render-intensive. Is the added drive a 7200 rpm drive? SATA I, II, III? Having added that drive, how are you dividing up tasks with the drives?

Sorry to hear your new machine wasn't singing and dancing.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Installed 2nd HDD, Renders now MUCH slower
by on Apr 29, 2016 at 8:20:14 pm

Hey Duke, depends on what and how you are rendering. Some effects, (if any) can be quite render-intensive. Is the added drive a 7200 rpm drive? SATA I, II, III? Having added that drive, how are you dividing up tasks with the drives?

Sorry to hear your new machine wasn't singing and dancing.

Yeah, I have no idea what the deal is with those workstations. If that was how they're really supposed to perform HP would have been out of business years ago. Something's not right with the boxes this seller has sent me. Anyway...

As I said, I've already rendered the file about 5 times (after tweaks) to the same HDD that my OS and software is on. Each time it took about 35-40 minutes. I just pulled this HDD from an old machine and put it in my current consumer level PC. To test it I rendered that same video again, this time to the second HDD.

The only effects is color correction and Primatte Keyer. I went out to lunch and when I got back an hour later, the render was still only 10% done and the estimated completion time had gone up to 8 hours. For a 2 minute video. Yes, it's a 7200 rpm SATA drive. I don't know if it's I, II or III. Given that I pulled it from a Gateway I'm gonna guess whatever the cheapest drive is. I know it's a Barracuda, 500 gig drive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]