ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Diagonal striped lines on clips (blank) when opening FCP XML

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe BagsDiagonal striped lines on clips (blank) when opening FCP XML
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 6:45:11 pm

Taking a FCP XML and opening it in premiere, I found certain clips were blank (not showing up on playback) and had diagonal stripes on the clip block in the timeline.

After researching people were saying this happens when one of the clips has a different time length than when it was originally saved. Not sure what to make of it.

I'm being put on a project someone else started so I don't know what is supposed to be shown for when it goes blank. I used match frame (shortcut F) and it still doesn't help.

What is the best remedy for getting the clip to show? Does it have to all be redone?

Return to posts index

Robert WithersRe: Diagonal striped lines on clips (blank) when opening FCP XML
by on Apr 27, 2016 at 3:02:07 pm

I had a similar issue when I imported an FCP7 XML into a PR CC timeline a while ago. Lots of clips with red stripes that wouldn't link to anything and repeated clip names and missing and disordered clips.

I noticed the first part of the timeline looked OK so I converted the 40 minute FCP sequence into two separate XMLs, imported each separately into PR and then put them in a single sequence. That worked.

Good luck.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Joe BagsRe: Diagonal striped lines on clips (blank) when opening FCP XML
by on Apr 28, 2016 at 11:14:24 pm

Right now:

I'm mimicking the edit. Im looking at the FCP project and finding the start frame and the end frame then going into Premiere and setting the in and out points to match the first and last frame in FCP.

What is strange is that when I put the clip in, it does not match the same length as the original edit. Naturally, I inspected to see if there was any Time Remapping or Slow Motion in the timeline. There was none. The frame rates match.

Why is it that I get the same exact start and end frame, yet the length is different? This is all trying to patch blank areas of the XML once it is opened in Premiere.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2016 at 1:25:53 am

Another thing I noticed is that certain scenes (usually the ones containing the grey stripes) that a lot of the clips that are showing up, are not correct. Its as if the timecode didn't carry over from FCP to premiere.

Does anyone know the remedy for this?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2016 at 2:19:00 am

See my previous post. I experienced all this and worked around it as described.
Good luck.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2016 at 4:24:19 pm

Thanks Robert but for some reason that's not working for me. Even when the clips show up, the timing (inside the clip) is way off for certain clips. Not sure why. Think it has to be redone by hand

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2016 at 5:11:38 pm

How long is the sequence? Exporting smaller XML segments from FCP and importing into PR doesn't help?
The touted ease of converting projects from FCP was part of what got me to switch to PR.
I found it took a lot of tinkering, and initially saw results like yours.

The other issue I've had with these imports is that my true stereo audio tracks imported as dual mono, and can't be changed in Pr without revising the characteristics of each original shot and reinserting it into the edited timeline.

Or course not everybody has true stereo recordings and some like the dual mono structure.

Cheers,
R

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]