ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Metadata and creating multicams

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim McNameeMetadata and creating multicams
by on Apr 25, 2016 at 3:44:48 pm

Is there any metadata that can be set to help Premiere sync clips for multicam? I'm working on footage with a shoot that had two DSLRs and zoom audio. When trying to sync, Premiere puts some of the clips out of order (even though they are sequentially numbered) and throws clips from the same camera sometimes to different tracks. In FCPX filling in camera angle metadata effects the syncing so I'm wondering if there is some metadata I could fill in here that would make Premiere less confused?

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: Metadata and creating multicams
by on Apr 25, 2016 at 9:02:18 pm

[Jim McNamee] " I'm working on footage with a shoot that had two DSLRs and zoom audio. When trying to sync, Premiere puts some of the clips out of order (even though they are sequentially numbered) and throws clips from the same camera sometimes to different tracks."

You have 2 issues to deal with.

#1 - Ppro assigns camera angles based on the order in which you selected them. If you have 3 cameras, A, B, C - and you select them A first, then C, then B your multiclip will put A as the first angle, C as the second angle and B as the third angle. So first sort your clips so that all the A's are first, the B's are second and the C's are third (or whatever naming convention you use) and then you will have them aligned consistently.

#2 - Ppro actually makes 3 different kind of multiclips, "Camera 1" "All Cameras" "Switch Audio", and it's based on the choice you make in the Audio section of the multicam dialogue box.

If all the audio you want to edit with (as opposed to the audio used in syncing the clips) is coming from your Zoom device then chose "1 Camera." It will automatically install the zoom audio on the first set of audio tracks (using as many tracks as needed based on the number of tracks in your zoom files) and mute all other audio. If you want to edit with a different set of tracks then post what you're looking to do and I will suggest how you can best handle it.

The Ppro multicam feature is very robust but it's not exactly intuitive.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jim McNameeRe: Metadata and creating multicams
by on Apr 25, 2016 at 9:46:09 pm

Hi Herb, thanks for the response. I did have the clips sorted in order by camera (and chronologically by clip name as well). I am also using the Camera 1 setting. However it's done some weird stuff for me that I thought could maybe be fixed if it strictly followed metadata denoting cameras.

For instance in one sync sequence with only 1 camera and audio, it did a good job on the first clip and wav, then it synced the rest of them correctly but overlapped them on many tracks. Since the clips and audio were of similar length it wasn't to hard to drag them each to the right and I then just used this sequence as a reference for which clips go with which audio and I redid each pair. Sorry I don't have a screengrab of this! Next it happens I'll post one.

These are simple DSLR clips that are numbered in numerical order. I have a unique tape name for each camera roll. Was wondering if there's another field I could enter a camera name into that would help Premiere.

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: Metadata and creating multicams
by on Apr 25, 2016 at 10:36:26 pm

[Jim McNamee] " I have a unique tape name for each camera roll. Was wondering if there's another field I could enter a camera name into that would help Premiere."

There is no metadata that affects the "multicam" function directly, you can use something like the "description" field to help sort the camera clips more effectively in the browser.

It sounds to me like you ran the audio for long takes and the cameras were more stop and go. If that's the case, when you make your multclip you will have several camera clips split over multiple tracks for each camera with one continuous audio clip. In that situation just move all the "A" camera clips onto the first video track, and all the "B" clips onto track 2. You can delete all the camera audio because your only using audio from your Zoom device.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]