ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Multi-Cam Grouping Merged Clips?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris ConleeMulti-Cam Grouping Merged Clips?
by on Apr 23, 2016 at 5:50:37 am

I've just taken over a feature that was started in Premiere, so I'm obligated to finish there; typically I'm an Avid guy. The prior editor synced all the dailies, but the show was shot with two Alexa cameras and I'd like to make multi-camera groups for editing. It seems to be impossible. Please tell me I'm not crazy, and there's a simple way to do this?

If not, how is it even possible that Adobe hasn't foreseen the need for this in a self described professional NLE? Years ago I tried to use PP and couldn't export AAFs of merged clips. Has that been fixed yet?

Sorry, feeling grumpy.

Chris Conlee

Return to posts index

paul whiteheadRe: Multi-Cam Grouping Merged Clips?
by on Apr 23, 2016 at 2:05:49 pm

Can you be a little bit more specific? Are the multicams already made and synced? What do you mean by group?

Return to posts index

Chris ConleeRe: Multi-Cam Grouping Merged Clips?
by on Apr 23, 2016 at 5:15:50 pm
Last Edited By Chris Conlee on Apr 23, 2016 at 5:23:01 pm

The feature was shot with two cameras simultaneously. Sound was recorded separately. An assistant synced all the footage and sound (merged clips, in Adobe terminology). I now have two 'merged' clips for each take: camera A and camera B. I now want to take those two clips and group them for multi-cam editing, standard practice in tv and feature film work.

Chris Conlee

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Multi-Cam Grouping Merged Clips?
by on Apr 25, 2016 at 8:03:10 pm
Last Edited By Alex Udell on Apr 25, 2016 at 8:04:50 pm

Hey Chris...

In PPro...

multicam is handled as a nested sequence.

so those synced clips ought to end up as vid tracks in a sequence.

When that sequence is then edited as a Nest into another sequecne, right clicking it will allow you to enable multi camera operation from the pop up context menu.

also the wrench in the record viewer will allow you to display it as a multicam viewer so you can see your takes side by side.

There's a few ways to handle audio.

If the audio is camera specific, then there are options for audio to follow video when making the select.

if this is not the case is my preference to edit the audio into the master sequence....reason being....nested audio doesn't generate waveforms in PPro....

so it may not be as refined as what you are used to....but you should be able to get the job done.

check you keyboard shortcuts, as you can use them to switch cameras (optionally in real time while playing back) to make the primary cut...then refine with roll edits as needed.

hth,

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: Multi-Cam Grouping Merged Clips?
by on Apr 25, 2016 at 9:23:57 pm

[Chris Conlee] "I've just taken over a feature that was started in Premiere, so I'm obligated to finish there; typically I'm an Avid guy. The prior editor synced all the dailies, but the show was shot with two Alexa cameras and I'd like to make multi-camera groups for editing. It seems to be impossible. Please tell me I'm not crazy, and there's a simple way to do this?"

There is a simple way to do this but unfortunately the prior editor screwed you. All the previous editor had to do was create multiclips of the 2 cameras and the double system audio using the "create multicamera" function and you could very happily be doing what you want. However you can't use "merged clips" in a mutli-camera sequence - that would be a nest within a nest - and so now you have to chose between figuring out some kludge way to use those clips, or simply throw out the previous editors work and start from scratch. Ppro is very fast and robust when creating multiclips, especially if you have timecode or audio waveforms on all 3 sources to sync by, and I would recommend doing it this way, but if it's a mountain of stuff and you have to locate sync marks by clapper sticks then it may not be worth it and you could try Alex Udell's method.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]