ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Using Marker Comments to "Jump to" on Timeline?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob MillerUsing Marker Comments to "Jump to" on Timeline?
by on Apr 22, 2016 at 6:55:20 pm

Hi all,

I'm editing an interview that cuts to various B-roll footage etc. in Adobe Premiere CC 2015.

My timeline has 3 tracks. Cam A and Cam B and the Audio.

I've been using the marker feature on the audio track to put markers on the interview. In the comments I'll write what the person was talking about.
I was hoping that there would be a keyboard shortcut that would hop me from the comments back to the track to hit M and mark, but I'm fine with using the mouse.

My problem is how to navigate through this after the markers have been set. I thought for sure that if I clicked on the marker to the left in the marker window that it would jump to the marker in the timeline, so I could play it back on the timeline and review it. But, that is not the case. Double clicking it leads to the marker detail window.

There must be a way to see a comment I wrote down and jump to it on the timeline, no?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

andy lewisRe: Using Marker Comments to "Jump to" on Timeline?
by on Apr 23, 2016 at 5:20:23 am

[Bob Miller] "I was hoping that there would be a keyboard shortcut that would hop me from the comments back to the track to hit M and mark, but I'm fine with using the mouse.
"

Not that I've found. I use Prelude for this reason - there still isn't a shortcut to do what you want but you can type comments without stopping playback or (mostly) using the mouse. All of my projects use separate sound so I sync in Pluraleyes, export audio with a scratch video track to Prelude, then reconnect original video in Premiere.

[Bob Miller] "There must be a way to see a comment I wrote down and jump to it on the timeline, no?"

Nope, I don't think there is. And with clip markers you can only see comments added to the clip you've selected in the sequence. If you've cut that clip up (as you would for an interview) the timecode IN/OUT in the marker window is now meaningless as well.

Markers is one of the most frustrating things for me about PPro. It looks like so much competent engineering has gone into it but fundamental design decisions have not made been made with editors in mind. The marker window is great but doesn't display all markers in the sequence (and you can't jump to clip markers so it's useless for search). Prelude is nice but there is no shortcut to go from typing a comment to the timeline and back (and it only allows one colour for comments).

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Using Marker Comments to "Jump to" on Timeline?
by on Apr 25, 2016 at 4:11:59 pm

Marker panel navigation will work if makers are are the sequence level....not the clip level...

and you can set makers to ripple with trimming....

this might get you closer to where you want to be...

(I can see why this might throw the system a curve...how do you tell a cursor that's looking at sequence time to jump to a timecode that exists independently inside of a clip? What if that clip and marker is on the timeline more than once? how would it know....I'm not saying it doesn't exist in other NLE's....just looking at it from what I see...that's a hard one to solve.)

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Yonatan LehmanRe: Using Marker Comments to "Jump to" on Timeline?
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 8:26:45 pm

What's worse - if you split up a clip (as in an interview) - the marker shows up multiple time - once for each "instance" of the clip created by a cut.

So the work around is to use subclips.

Return to posts index

Yonatan LehmanRe: Using Marker Comments to "Jump to" on Timeline?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 6:45:53 pm

After some experimenting, this is what happens

The panel window shows markers as follows:
1)when you click in the source panel - the markers in the clip loaded in the source panel
2)when you click in the program panel then one of
a) the sequence markers
b) all of the markers in the master clip of the currently selected instance clip (the clip on the timeline)
c) all of the markers of all of the master clips for all of the instance clips (all the clip in the timeline)

a) is if "Show all clip markers in sequence " is disabled
b) is if "Show all clip markers in sequence" is disabled and one and only clip is selected
c) is if "Show all clip markers in sequence " is enabled

You jump to a marker by clicking the marker row in the marker panel - I can't see where this is documented.
If the marker is a sequence marker, then the playline in the program monitor will jump to the appropriate place on the timeline (good...)
If the marker is a clip marker, AND the clip is loaded in the source monitor, then the playline in the source monitor will jump to the appropriate place.

All of this means that there is no convenient way to chop up an interview on the timeline, use clip markers to annotate interesting clips on the timeline, and then use the marker panel to find the interesting clips and re-arrange them based on the annotations.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]