ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Closed captioning 608 vs 708

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darin Morash
Closed captioning 608 vs 708
on Apr 22, 2016 at 5:57:56 pm

Hi there, been working on a show for broadcast for a couple of years and now a new network is airing our show. My closed captioning file is provided to me by a 3rd party. They send me an scc file which i add to premiere, but the only way i can see it is if I set premiere to display 608 captioning. The new network is asking for 708, when I change premiere to view 708 the captioning disappears. Is this a problem with my source file? or am I missing something in premiere? If i just witch to 708 on before exporting will the captioning be 708? I'm exporting to an mxf file with embed captioning.

thanks

d

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Closed captioning 608 vs 708
on Apr 22, 2016 at 7:26:34 pm

For 708 and Premiere you need an .mcc file instead of a .scc.

Ask the people that do your captioning to send you this type of file. When you bring the mcc file over to the timeline it will have two tracks. Top is 708 bottom is 608.

Return to posts index

Darin Morash
on Apr 22, 2016 at 7:50:08 pm

Thank you I will give it a go

Return to posts index

Alec Oyung
on Jul 12, 2017 at 7:03:19 pm

.mcc will provide you with 2 captions streams, which you will see in your timeline. The problem will arise when you try to export the 2 streams. If you want to embed in file, there isn't any way to embed both the 608 and the 708, it will only embed the 608 and this seems to be a limitation to Premiere.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 23, 2017 at 1:51:22 pm

That is not the case. When you bring in an mcc file it does have two layers 608 and 708. When you export with embedded or sidecar and choose 708 the exported file will have 708 and 608.

We do hundreds of files per week.

If you are using the news version of PP make sure you proof both. It is messing up a lot of 708 so we have rolled back to PP 2015.5.

Return to posts index

David Stack
on Aug 1, 2017 at 8:19:51 pm

I'm glad to finally find someone else is having issues with the 708 CC, which is super flaky on my system!

Here's my main issue...

My secondary issue is what I've been dealing with since October 2016. After importing the 608 SCC file, I duplicate the file, and change the copy to 708. Then the final export contains both 608 and 708 data for broadcast. But these SCC files inadvertently change from 708 to 608, and vice versa. I'm not sure if this change only takes place after closing and re-opening the project, but almost every show that I export has at least one of it's SCC files switch.

I called Adobe, and was told apologetically that they are working on the closed caption issues. The guy didn't mention if they were specifically aware of the two issues I'm dealing with. I expressed that until they fix this major flakiness (depicted in the screen prints above) I'm forced to send out our shows as SD. I asked for a time-frame on when Adobe will fix the support agent was unable to answer that. I should mention that earlier this morning I called and was told to uninstall PP, reinstall and reboot, and that my issues will be corrected. I had done that before I made the call. He also said my computer was infected, but that was not the case. I called back I asked for someone in "level two" support, and someone who would be knowledgeable about the closed caption features.

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Aug 9, 2017 at 6:01:44 pm

[David Stack] "After importing the 608 SCC file, I duplicate the file, and change the copy to 708. Then the final export contains both 608 and 708 data for broadcast. But these SCC files inadvertently change from 708 to 608, and vice versa. I"

Hi David,

Can you try these steps to see if it fixes the issue:

1. Copy the .scc file before exporting
2. Import both files and change one caption to 708

Let us know if that helps.

Peter Garaway
Adobe

Return to posts index

David Stack
on Aug 9, 2017 at 6:49:59 pm

That's worth a try. Thanks Peter! I'll let you know if this works.

Return to posts index

David Stack
on Aug 2, 2017 at 3:26:43 pm

I've installed PP 2015.3. I don't see that 2015.5 is available. .3 is buggy in general, but better than what I have with 2017. Thanks for the tip on rolling back.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 2, 2017 at 5:32:14 pm

We have had to roll back to 2015.3, I was just wrong about the .5.

We are a broadcaster so in programming we are not doing any major editing but we do a lot of embedding of captions to MXF files. Anything past 2015.3 is messing up 708 captions. It is maddening. I talked to Adobe tech support and it was even more maddening. They are adding great features for fixing captions but it is breaking the most important thing,

For my own work, I edit in 2017.1 and embed captions in 2015.3 if it is HD.

Return to posts index

David Stack
on Aug 2, 2017 at 5:49:50 pm

Yes, it is maddening! And to reiterate, I'm glad it's not just me... Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who uses the PP closed caption features and their bugs. Even in 2015.3 isn't full-proof, but it's a lot more reliable than 2017! I had to settle with sending a Beta SP tape out for broadcast before finding this thread. Thanks again for the tip!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]