ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

CS6 can't import Sony RAW MXF files - "Codec missing or unavailable"

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad RoelandtCS6 can't import Sony RAW MXF files - "Codec missing or unavailable"
by on Apr 22, 2016 at 12:31:05 am

Hi all,

This past weekend I shot a film on the Sony PMW-F5, 2K RAW. Since bringing home the footage I haven't managed to find a way to work with the MXF files on my PC running Windows 10. This isn't my field of expertise so bear with me.

When I open them in VLC, they appear as a silent timeline, Quicktime says they are a file it "doesn't understand". Premiere Pro CS6 says "Codec missing or unavailable". Media Encoder CS6 says "the source has an invalid codec". They do not open in Avid MC.

They DO however open in Sony Vegas Pro 13 (and being Vegas, it crashes not long after playback) and Sony RAW Viewer. They do not open in Sony Content Browser or XDCAM Viewer.

On my school computers, I've been able to work with them on Adobe CC and Avid MC just fine. I used Media Encoder to create some .mov proxies and my plan was to continue with the same at home.

So far I've tried the following:

MXF Converter Freeware
Calibrated{Q} MXF Import
Sony RAW Plug-In for Adobe CS6 (PLAD-RW1)
RAW Plug-in for Avid (PLAV-RW1)
XAVC/XDCAM Plug-in for Avid (PDZK-MA2)
Avid LE Codecs 2.7.1 & 2.3.7

I haven't seen any change. I'm not sure if I'm incorrectly installing these plug-ins - I'm just running through installation wizards, so I can't imagine there's much room for error.

If there is anyway to even just create low res proxies to work with, I'd be perfectly content with that until I complete a cut of the project. But with only RAW Viewer and a crashing Vegas Pro, I can't see that as a possibility.

Brad

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: CS6 can't import Sony RAW MXF files - "Codec missing or unavailable"
by on Apr 22, 2016 at 9:34:21 am

You should be able to transcode them with Resolve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]