ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How do you export subtitles out of premiere into a document?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sandra vieiraHow do you export subtitles out of premiere into a document?
by on Apr 20, 2016 at 2:11:42 pm

Hi all

I'm working in a PAL project and cannot find a way to export already existing subtitles into a document with corresponding timecodes. Is there a third party application that supports PAL or is there a way to do it directly out of premiere.

I'm very stuck. Please help.

sandra vieira
fcp editor
rundontwalk productions

Return to posts index

Andy EdwardsRe: How do you export subtitles out of premiere into a document?
by on Apr 20, 2016 at 4:22:09 pm

Are the subtitles 608/708 embedded in the files you are working on or you created subtitles inside of Premiere with the captions tool? If you used the caption tool you can just export your sequence and in the export menu under the caption tab, choose create sidecar file and SRT format. This will create a text file you can open up and copy and paste your subtitles into a document.

Andy

Return to posts index

sandra vieiraRe: How do you export subtitles out of premiere into a document?
by on Apr 20, 2016 at 4:50:02 pm

Hey Andy

They were created inside premiere unfortunately. I tried the Captions tab earlier to attempt a .scc file as well but the tab isn't active and I can't access it at all. Then I did a bit of research and .scc files are only NTSC friendly. Is that correct?

Am I doomed to do this manually? Surely not in this day and age?

sandra vieira
fcp editor
rundontwalk productions

Return to posts index

by on Apr 20, 2016 at 5:47:35 pm

If they created "Titles" for the captions in the title designer vs. a proper caption file, then yes, you are stuck. If the files were proper captions created in premiere, you can choose the steps I showed above to create a SRT file, not SCC to extract the timecode and captions.

There might be a XML extract application you could try, but all depends on if the the premiere titler vs. the caption file creation process was used.

Andy.

Return to posts index

sandra vieiraRe: How do you export subtitles out of premiere into a document?
by on Apr 21, 2016 at 12:12:09 pm

All the titles were created in premiere so I am stuck. So if I understand you correctly, if the titles are created by a third party app then it would be possible to extract from premiere? I've been referred to EZTitles for this purpose. Or am I wasting my time?

Thanks for your help Andy. I'm not used to such requests.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2016 at 8:38:00 pm

Still not understanding which way they were created? Are they tile design created or the captioning file type? If the titles were created by a 3rd party application like Mac Caption from Telestream and embedded into the video files, you can extract the data. But if that were true, you could ask the company that did them to send you a SCC or SRT file you could then paste into a Excel doc. I have not used EZtitles, so not much help there, sorry.

Return to posts index

Stephen AbbottRe: How do you export subtitles out of premiere into a document?
by on May 4, 2016 at 3:45:00 pm
Last Edited By Stephen Abbott on May 4, 2016 at 3:51:04 pm

Hi Sandy,

When you say that the titles were "created in Premiere", do you mean using the title generator (New item > Title)? If so, there is one way I use quite a lot to get these subtitles out of Premiere and eventually a spreadsheet or .SRT file. It's a bit convoluted and does include some manual labour, but here goes:

1) Rename the title clips in the project window to match the title contents. (Consider mapping a shortcut for the "Clip > Rename" action.)

2) Export an EDL. I've tested this now, and it appears that the EDL export dialogue doesn't behave as expected for some of the settings—in particular the 32-character option and the source file name option don't seem to do anything when it comes to text clips. The text clip is always referenced by the name in the project, which is why you need to edit the titles in the project window are described in (1). Length is no problem: I just exported a 630-character long title with no problem.

3) Do some text bashing (either a macro or a lot of careful "Replace All" in TextEdit) to get the EDL into spreadsheet shape, or into a standard .SRT text format.

While this does basically mean re-doing the titles from scratch, you do save the manual effort of re-timing the subtitles. And you could conceivably save a bit more time with because you can copy-paste each subtitle into the title clip's name...

I hope that helps! Let me know if you need help with (3).

-

A side note: I've actually started using a variation of this in Premiere as my standard subtitling workflow: I generate the subtitles in Photoshop as multiple layers. This gives me good control over the burn-in rendering of titles (better than anything I've found from closed captions), which is great for approvals and for the primary language, which people generally want burned-in in any case.

Each PS layer has the correct clip title on import into Premiere (with a suffix that is easily removed during step 3 above), so I can easily generate .SRT (or spreadsheet) subtitles on delivery.

That makes it easy to deliver a timecode accurate spreadsheet for translation and soft-coding onto a subtitle-free export. I work in English, and Western-language translators often just translate subtitle-for-subtitle off the English master, which keeps the timing identical. For a more nuanced translation, the original English timing is a good place to start in any case.

-

PS > Michael Cinquin has a very useful set of web scripts for subtitle bashing. It's a bit old now, focussing on FCP7 and Belle Nuit Subtitler, but I still sometimes find his tools useful for moving between different formats when I'm too lazy to write the script myself... :) Edit: here's the link to those tools: http://www.michaelcinquin.com/tools/subtitles

-
Stephen Abbott

Return to posts index

Michael SacciRe: How do you export subtitles out of premiere into a document?
by on Apr 22, 2016 at 7:46:03 pm

If you have a CC track that you made in Premiere and you go to the Caption tab in Export Settings screen. If the Export Options is greyed out, you have not selected a supported Format/preset. Once you do you will have the Create Sidecar File and will have several choices of files. There is an timed text xml.

Try the format for either Quicktime or MXF OP1a

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]