ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

advice using the open timeline function

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson Mayadvice using the open timeline function
by on Apr 19, 2016 at 10:59:17 pm

I have the latest update of CC. I just started using it, because I can't use FCP any longer with After Effects. I was sent some video in 1080p and i remember setting my timeline for 720. My output is 720. I wanted to be able to pan and tilt my clips in a 720 timeline rather than 1080. My edit is finished and I was sent an additional piece of video....in 720.

Can I convert my timeline to 720 that still contains the 1080 clips? That way I can match up the 720 clip that was given to me after the fact. I could get the edit perfect, export to 720, but if I need to make changes, I don't want to have to keep down converting.

Can I edit 1080 in a 720 timeline? How do I change my timeline to be a container for the 1080 media?

Cheers.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: advice using the open timeline function
by on Apr 19, 2016 at 11:52:27 pm

Why don't you just drop a 1080 clip into your 720 timeline to see what happens? I assure you, it won't blow-up, won't catch fire, and won't change the rotation of the Earth on its axis.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Nelson MayRe: advice using the open timeline function
by on Apr 19, 2016 at 11:57:21 pm

I did do that. I set up my sequence as 720 when I started my session. I just want to know if I can go backwards from 1080 to 720.

Now if I can't, can I export my current clips and then add everything to a 720 timeline? The edit is finished except for transitions. I don't know adobe that well and want to know if you can go back to a 720 timeline and then reduce the size of the 1080 clips to match the 720?

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: advice using the open timeline function
by on Apr 21, 2016 at 1:05:03 pm

Hi Nelson. Your last was a bit confusing to me. You indicated your timeline was a 720P timeline, but then mentioned going "backward" from 1080 to 720. I'm not understanding.

Perhaps just telling us what the final product you want to have would be will enable us to help you get there.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Nelson MayRe: advice using the open timeline function
by on Apr 22, 2016 at 2:41:17 am

Yes, After some research I figured out what I needed to do. I started with 1080 footage. I am new a PP and thought it had the open timeline like FCP. Anyway I set my initial sequence at 720, but when i imported the clips, the timeline conformed to 1080. I had another clip from a client that was 720 and needed to add it to the existing footage.

I was looking at nesting and found that I could create a nested sequence of 720 and drop in my original created sequence. It worked. I was able to reduce my 1080 clip size by about 30 percent, to become 720. I just copied the first clip's attributes and pasted them onto all my other 1080 clips.

Everything was now 720 and I was able to continue my workflow. I was asking a question, because I may have allowed my initial sequence to conform to 1080 instead of 720. I know FCP will do that when you drop a clip that isn't the project's resolution. I didn't have the time to set up a new sequence, troubleshoot and lose my first edit.

All is good now. Thanks. I guess I was't sure how to type the question.

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]