ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Multi-Camera Sequence – Deliverables for Sound Mixer (XML)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew AngleMulti-Camera Sequence – Deliverables for Sound Mixer (XML)
by on Apr 18, 2016 at 11:39:45 pm

Hello!

I'm beginning work editing a feature documentary. This is the first project of this scale I have ever done, I'm learning as I go, but I want to make sure I don't set myself for any trouble at the very end.

The documentary will use edits from multiple interviews throughout the timeline. Each of these interviews feature the following components:

Master (A-Camera)
B Camera
External Recorder (2 .WAV files)

The master camera runs throughout the entire interview, it is a Canon C300, the files are .MXF. The additional camera cuts frequently throughout (YES I KNOW I WAS NOT INVOLVED UNTIL POST). It is a DSLR. The audio I will want to have access for the sound mix will be the in-camera shotgun from the Master, and the 2-tracks from the External Recorder.

I am creating multi-camera source sequences for each interview. I intend to make the first edit of the film using only the Master (A-Camera) and then later on deciding whether or not I would like to make cut-aways to the additional cameras. To get these multi-camera sequences I do the following:

First I address the B camera. I put the multiple clips in a sequence with the audio from the Zoom. I run the sequence through Pluralize, then export the the sequence to get my DSLR (B-Camera) into one continuous combined clip. This creates a ProRes clip from all the short shots from the B-Camera taken throughout the interview. There a black spaces when the operator was not recording. I only export the audio from internal mic on the camera. In other words, when there are "black spaces" when the camera was not recording there is no audio. This new file I will call "DSLR Merged"

I was having trouble getting the multi-camera sequence to recognize both .WAV files from the external recorder, so I found a solution by nesting the two files - 01.WAV and 02.WAV (Boom and Lav) - in a new sequence.

THEN I make a bin with the Master (A-Camera), DSLR Merged, and the nested audio sequence. Right-click the bin > 'Create Multi-Camera Source Sequence' (sync using Audio) and voila, it works. All is synced, I can cut between the different camera angles, and I can choose which audio track I want to listen to in my editing sequence by Solo-ing that track. (I do this because the LAVs can be distracting!)

I apologize for the excessive set up! But my thought was that if someone reads it and sees something that could be a problem down the line you could save me! Regardless, the question is Will I have any trouble delivering the project to a sound-mixer?

I will not be mixing the audio in Premiere. Someone else will do this and they will use whatever software a sound mixer uses. I imagine that I will give them all the audio files and an XML/EDL from Premiere that they will work from to get my editing points. Will this multi-camera sequence cause problems? Will they be able to get access to the multiple audio tracks connected in the multi-clip? (Even the 2 .WAV files that are in their own nested sequence?)

Hopefully I was clear. I'm learning as I go, both in terms of feature film and doc workflow and getting this in-depth with multi-clips is new to me.

Thanks everyone!
Drew

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Multi-Camera Sequence – Deliverables for Sound Mixer (XML)
by on Apr 19, 2016 at 12:07:51 am

[Drew Angle] "
I apologize for the excessive set up! But my thought was that if someone reads it and sees something that could be a problem down the line you could save me! "

Have you tried using the built in sync function in PPro? Just select your cameras and audio in the Project window, right click, Create Multi-Camera Source Sequence. PPro will sync everything and put it all in a multi-cam sequence for you.

Here is a recent thread talking about some of the audio options PPro gives you when making a multi-cam sequence and the differences between them.

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/975940#976003

Return to posts index

Drew AngleRe: Multi-Camera Sequence – Deliverables for Sound Mixer (XML)
by on Apr 19, 2016 at 1:47:53 am

Hey Andrew,

I did start off with that in mind. Bottom line is I need all the short DSLR clips into one continuous file to make the multi-clip work.

I started off using the PPro sync feature but found that it took at least 4 times longer than Pluralize and was not as intuitive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]