ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Low Rez H.264 vs ProRes Proxy Editing

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dorian CantorLow Rez H.264 vs ProRes Proxy Editing
by on Apr 17, 2016 at 9:06:37 pm

Hello,

I am shooting a short on the Sony a7sii. I will be shooting in UHD 1080p24 100 mb/s and 1080p120 100 mb/s. I'm running on a 2013 MBP with 8 GB of RAM so naturally I need to transcode my footage to a proxy format for faster editing in CC 2015. I've done this before, transcoding 1080p24 footage shot on the Canon 70D down to Quicktime H.264 files at a 8 mb rate and it was pretty good, but I think it could be faster.

I'm looking for suggestions on if I should transcode my footage to either 720p24 Quicktime H.264 files at 5 mb/s, or 720p24 Quicktime ProRes Proxy files for a faster playback. I'm not concerned about the smaller frame size, as I will do the work of correcting any potential scaling issues that arise by going from 720p to 1080 when I replace the proxy footage with the raw footage during the color correct phase. All I care about is speed, the image I edit with doesn't no need to be above medium quality by any means.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Danny BaronRe: Low Rez H.264 vs ProRes Proxy Editing
by on Jul 12, 2016 at 9:17:02 pm

Did you ever find an answer? I'm thinking of transcoding my DSLR footage to DNX LB 1080p for offline on my laptop. Or lower res .h264. I found once the multicams are loaded the drive and or laptop really slows down.

Thanks.

Danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]