ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Where to do the mixing of audio for my film; in premiere or audition..?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve MarceWhere to do the mixing of audio for my film; in premiere or audition..?
by on Apr 16, 2016 at 7:08:35 pm
Last Edited By Steve Marce on Apr 16, 2016 at 7:21:37 pm

Hey guys,

I was wondering if after laying down the ADR dialogues, sfx, music all on their separate tracks in premiere pro, in their respective sequences (as there are multiple sequences in my project); and I would do the post processing of audio i.e dialogues and music in Audition, like equalising, compression etc by sending each of the sequences to Audition through dynamic link...

Then after the post processing of the audio, where should I do the mixing of audio..? In Audition or should I do the mixing in premiere pro..?

I mean after the post processing of the audio should I export the sequences back into premiere pro and then do the mixing there, in premiere pro..? Or after the post processing of the audio should I also mix the audio in Audition itself and then export the sequence back into premiere pro..?

Coz there might arise a need to put keyframes in audio tracks after exporting the sequence from Audition back into premiere pro... And also after exporting the sequence from audition back into premiere pro, it merges all the audio clips in an audio track and makes it a single long clip... So can I put keyframes on that single audio track..?

This is for the feature film project...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thnx in advance...

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: Where to do the mixing of audio for my film; in premiere or audition..?
by on Apr 16, 2016 at 7:26:49 pm

You must have your picture locked before doing the mix. That said,
Imho, if you edit your audio in Audition you should do your mix in audition (or Protools, or whatever) then export your master to Premiere....
If you need to modify your mix you can always do it in audition and export again...

Return to posts index

Steve MarceRe: Where to do the mixing of audio for my film; in premiere or audition..?
by on Apr 16, 2016 at 7:44:07 pm

@Pierpaolo Ferlaino

Thanks a lot for reverting back Pierpaolo!

I would appreciate if you throw some light on:

How to export the master..? Same like we export the sequence back into premiere pro..? Means after the mix is done instead of the tracks only one master track gets exported..?

And how to modify my mix later on in audition, by opening audition and then opening the sequence file that we saved in audition..?

And also can we put keyframes in clips in audition?

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Steve MarceRe: Where to do the mixing of audio for my film; in premiere or audition..?
by on Apr 16, 2016 at 7:31:51 pm

And I want to do a 5.1 surround mix for my project

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: Where to do the mixing of audio for my film; in premiere or audition..?
by on Apr 16, 2016 at 7:36:29 pm

One more reason to do it in Audition...

Return to posts index

by on Apr 16, 2016 at 7:51:05 pm

@Pierpaolo Ferlaino

One more thing...
I have 5.1 sequences in my premiere pro project.. And after I do the mix in audition and then export the sequence back into premiere pro; will the exported master track from audition be on the 5.1 master track in premiere pro or will a separate 5.1 master track be created in premiere pro for the exported audition master track..?

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

by on Apr 16, 2016 at 8:21:18 pm

I do 2.0 mixes in Audition but I never mixed in 5.1... Maybe someone else can give you more details or you can post those question to the Audition or the audio professional forums...

Anyway I freelance at a facility that does 5.1 mixing so I can tell you what the audio guys do in Protools (but I think the same principles can be applied to Audition)...

How to export the master..?

I usually get 6 mono channels then I put them back to 6 mono channels mapped for 5.1 in a 5.1 sequence in Premiere.

Means after the mix is done instead of the tracks only one master track gets exported..?

For some projects they also export stems that are group of audio sources mixed together to keep, for example. dialogues separated from music and effects in case the dialogue should be replaced for an international version... For my premiere project I get the 6 mono master channels...

And how to modify my mix later on in audition, by opening audition and then opening the sequence file that we saved in audition..?

Maybe I'm not understanding well what are you asking here but yes... You can open the audition project and modify the mix like you would do for any project in any other software...

And also can we put keyframes in clips in audition?

In audition you can use track based automations and clip based automations as well...

Return to posts index

by on Apr 16, 2016 at 8:41:52 pm

@Pierpaolo Ferlaino

"I usually get 6 mono channels then I put them back to 6 mono channels mapped for 5.1 in a 5.1 sequence in Premiere."

So that means I should do the mapping of individual mono audio dialogues clips, sfx clips in premiere first and then do the mixing in audition..?

"For some projects they also export stems that are group of audio sources mixed together to keep, for example. dialogues separated from music and effects in case the dialogue should be replaced for an international version... For my premiere project I get the 6 mono master channels..."

Yes, that is what I was worried about.. How to export the stems? Coz I would be needing music and sfx separated from the dialogues for dialogues to get dubbed in other languages layer on...

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

by on Apr 16, 2016 at 9:05:39 pm

Also it would be really helpful if could you suggest any video tutorial that shows how to do all this.. I mean this entire process between premiere pro and audition, which explains all the sending from premiere, then editing audio in audition then 5.1 mixing in audition then expirting all back into premiere, the stems n all..

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

by on Apr 16, 2016 at 9:29:11 pm

So that means I should do the mapping of individual mono audio dialogues clips, sfx clips in premiere first and then do the mixing in audition..?

You can edit stereo in premiere then send your tracks to audition and go for 5.1 there...

Also it would be really helpful if could you suggest any video tutorial that shows how to do all this.. I mean this entire process between premiere pro and audition, which explains all the sending from premiere, then editing audio in audition then 5.1 mixing in audition then expirting all back into premiere, the stems n all..

The best thing is to hire an audio professional to do the mix for you if it fits your budget... Or you can hire an audio professional to guide you through the process...

I do some 2.0 mixes myself but I always get the mix done by audio professionals when it comes to 5.1

Anyway, there are a couple of courses about Audition and Audio for video on Lynda.com that I found very interesting but I can't remember the exact names... Do a search for "audio for video" or "mixing for video"... They are about mixing 2.0 (if I'm not wrong) but they quite informative (they show you how stems are done, for example)...

Once more... Get an audio professional or get some training from an audio professional...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]