ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

PC Noob: Why is my Mac is 4x faster at rendering than New PC? Cuda Problems...?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas J. RalphPC Noob: Why is my Mac is 4x faster at rendering than New PC? Cuda Problems...?
by on Apr 14, 2016 at 9:50:18 pm
Last Edited By Nicholas J. Ralph on Apr 14, 2016 at 9:51:29 pm

After a ten year sabbatical from PCs - I have just purchased a new PC with this spec (mainly for VR and gaming)

Intel i7-6700 CPU (3.4GHZ) 16GB of RAM, 240Gb SSD and a 1TB HDD Nvidia GTX 980

However as a video editor I thought I would install Premiere/After Effects CC 2015 and see how much faster it would be than my workhorse iMac.

In short, the PC is x4 slower than the Mac @ rendering video files! Pretty surprised as I thought the GPU would make it on par... if not even quicker.

The spec of my 2014 Mac is:

4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz) - 32GB Memory - 512GB SSD - AMD Radeon R9 M295X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory.

Initially I assumed that Premiere hadn't seen the card - but on opening up GPU sniffer it looks like Premiere is seeing it fine...

I have taken the same project and opened it on both. With a few FX added it will play smooth as butter on the Imac and at about 3 fps on the PC.

Seems to work fine for gaming.. but not video.. Ideas/Thoughts appreciated.

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: PC Noob: Why is my Mac is 4x faster at rendering than New PC? Cuda Problems...?
by on Apr 14, 2016 at 11:31:53 pm

Maybe the memory?

Premiere likes to have more to run better....I know when I had 16 gb on fairly current
mac towers it was "sufficient" until we started editing in 4k....an upgrade to 32gb
was mandatory at that point.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: PC Noob: Why is my Mac is 4x faster at rendering than New PC? Cuda Problems...?
by on Apr 15, 2016 at 1:35:05 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Apr 15, 2016 at 1:42:25 am

skylake is pretty much the same rendering speed as the 'ol 4790. and since premiere is still single threaded, cpu ghz will always win.

skylake was created as an interim because it forces you to buy a new motheboard for the LG1151 and encouraged buying all new DDR4 ram(due to the secret 1.35v limit) which neither make any real difference in rendering speed. Haswell-E is the true renderer, beating all xeons, coming out soon is the i7-6950X.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Haswell-vs-Skylake-S-i7-4790K-vs...

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: PC Noob: Why is my Mac is 4x faster at rendering than New PC? Cuda Problems...?
by on Apr 15, 2016 at 4:59:48 am

What kiund of footage are you editing? Where's the media located? What are your exact export/timeline/preview settings?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]