ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

New here and can use backup strategy advice

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dwayne BurgessNew here and can use backup strategy advice
by on Apr 13, 2016 at 1:56:00 am

Hey all,

Been on and off this forum geeking out on computer stuff, tips from you pro's and other users. I can really use some advice and tips for my backup situation here.

I have several hard drives and I will list what I have each doing...

Lacie 2Big Thunderbolt 4TB that I have set to RAID1
Lacie 1TB (Backup/Misc)
WD 4TB My Book USB 3.0 (Newly Purchased and setup for Time Machine Specifically)

I just purchased the WD 4TB to use as a complete backup up because I wanted to use my Lacie 2Big Thunderbolt 4TB drive currently at RAID 1 to be set to RAID 0 for performance. I bought the WD because my Thunderbolt drive literally has 7GB of space on it and I really needed to clear it off.

My strategy that I have currently running is the new WD 4TB as a Time Machine backup. Once it's completed I planed on Formatting my Thunderbolt and making it a RAID 0 instead of RAID 1. Would this be the best strategy to use? I'm predominately using this setup running Adobe Premiere CS6, Photoshop, Bridge, Lightroom. I have heavy files from my 5DIII, HERO 4 and IPhone that I edit and backup. I have files still from 2013. It's sort of a mess. I can really use some advice from you all on the best way to go about this.

Thanks,

Dwayne

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: New here and can use backup strategy advice
by on Apr 13, 2016 at 11:23:40 am

Here's what has worked for me for almost 15 years -

All Project files are on the C drive.
All Media is on a 4 drive RAID0.

I have an external removable drive enclosure with 2 drive bays. One of it's drives is a dedicated backup drive for the system.

I backup all Project files and all Media files to this drive using a backup utility. For many years I have used 'Second Copy'. With a backup utility, I can set a backup routine which makes an exact duplicate of the Media folder on the RAID0. I have a separate routine which does an incremental backup of the Project files, so that I consistently have multiple copies of each Project file. These 'backup routines' can either be run on a timed basis, or manually.

On return to the studio from a shoot, I immediately copy all media from the shoot to the RAID, then run a backup so that that media gets copied. Then I generally will make another copy of that media on the removeable drive in the 2nd drive bay of the enclosure. At that point I have 4 copies of the media from the shoot. When time permits, I will make a Blu-ray copy of that media as well, for long term storage.

At least every night before shutdown I simply run each backup routine which gives me a backup of that day's Project files and Media files. If the C drive or RAID dies the next day, I still have all media, and all Project files from at least the previous day. On critical projects I will run the backup routine for the Project files during the day as well. It only takes one mouse click and a few seconds to complete.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: New here and can use backup strategy advice
by on Apr 13, 2016 at 1:28:03 pm

And don't forget, a backup that you keep in your primary facility is not a backup at all should the place burn or have an otherwise destructive event.

Always build in an off-site backup of your critical stuff.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]