ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Preview/Timeline jumping back, very weird like laging/bugging

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis WillmannPreview/Timeline jumping back, very weird like laging/bugging
by on Apr 12, 2016 at 12:47:03 pm

Hey,
sometimes when I try to use Premiere Pro CC, the preview/timeline (everything: video and sound) lags in a weird way, when I try to play something back. In detail, the cursor jumps back 0.5 seconds every 1 second (not exactly theese values, but it's like that). The sound stutters, the video goes back and forth (just like I described) and it's impossible to cut properly. The only thing, that seems to solve this problem temporally, is a restart of the whole computer. I would be totally ok with such little problems, but it happens way too often (1 out of 4 times I try to cut). I recently reinstalled windows, because I got an SSD, but the problem is still the same.

My specs:
Intel Core i7-5820k
16 GB of DDR4 RAM (HyperX from Kingston)
Asus GTX 970 with 4GB of VRAM
Seagate SSHD + (since a week) Samsung 950 Pro SSD (VNAND)
Asus X99-Deluxe Motherboard
Windows 10 Pro (Updating constantly)

Hope someone has an idea
~ Dennis

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Preview/Timeline jumping back, very weird like laging/bugging
by on Apr 12, 2016 at 3:39:02 pm

You list two SSD's. One is OS and apps, and the other is media?

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Preview/Timeline jumping back, very weird like laging/bugging
by on Apr 12, 2016 at 3:40:01 pm

Oops - also, what codec/wrapper and resolution on the footage?

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Dennis WillmannRe: Preview/Timeline jumping back, very weird like laging/bugging
by on Apr 12, 2016 at 3:57:46 pm

I used an SSHD (Basically a HHD with a flash-storage for data that is used often), NOT an SSD. NOW I got one SSD to that, so my system and my most important software is installed on the SSD and my data and some other software on the SSHD. The footage is from OBS mostly, but it also happens with footage from Dxtory or Shadowplay. (Because of that, I don't think a codec is the problem, but anyways: )

The OBS-footage is on mp4 made with x264 encoder.
Dxtory uses Lagarith Lossless Codec
Shadowplay uses H.264

The specs of my drives: (If you need)
(Data/Old SSHD): Seagate Desktop ST2000DX001 SSHD 2TB
(System/New SSD): Samsung 950 Pro 256GB

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Preview/Timeline jumping back, very weird like laging/bugging
by on Apr 12, 2016 at 7:50:50 pm

x.264 and h.264 both in there at the same time... can you pre-render them with DnxHD and see if the problem still exists?

Return to posts index

Dennis WillmannRe: Preview/Timeline jumping back, very weird like laging/bugging
by on Apr 13, 2016 at 3:44:38 pm

I'll try that next time the problem shows up and test that.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 14, 2016 at 2:08:06 pm

In the rendered clip, everything is normal. The problem appears just in the preview/timeline, so cutting is impossible, rendering is possible.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 15, 2016 at 2:23:55 am

is the audio a pcm wave file? adobe said sound issues can do this.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2016 at 3:03:33 pm

No it is not.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2016 at 6:28:52 pm

if its not uncompressed wav, i recommend converting to wav as it might fix your issue. variable VBR mp3 audio and other sorts can cause problems.

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2016 at 8:53:44 am

I don't think, it is because of wav, because it is working most times. And it is no solution to convert it for every video, since I am doing this stuff every day. I got this bug recorded, see this link:

Return to posts index

Isaac HalasimaRe: Preview/Timeline jumping back, very weird like laging/bugging
by on May 1, 2016 at 6:15:05 pm

Mine just started doing that too... and it's around the cruddy compressed audio clips go figure (why do people still give me mp3 files?... not like we still use floppy disks). Audio has beat the snot out of me in Premiere, more than I think it should. But I still remember audio glitches being way more devastating in FCP 7.

The hard drives play into it too. Granted, knowing I'm on a mac, I know with a bushel of HD's running a project my computer would seem to go out of it's way to try and rest drives, causing all kinds of havoc. Which includes the phantom starting points on the sequence after pushing play, and one of my favorites... the complete freeze on the monitor and computer while the audio still finishes the sequence. It gives you a moment to wonder how long it's been since you saved. Making the moment you finally hit "Force Quit" so painful.

On my mac, that system preference has been turned off for years and I'd delete that option if I could. I just haven't touched windows since Bush beat Gore, and have no idea what kind of energy savers it might have.. But everybody's right to point to audio, right off the bat. If it isn't a WAV, you can almost count on something strange eventually happening. That's how I got the the quick finger action for Command+S, as a weird and constant nervous twitch.

Isaac Halasima
OS X El Capitan
iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch, Late 2015)
4GHz Intel Core i7
64 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

isaachalasima.com

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2016 at 9:10:24 am

Edit: I played around with diffrent audio types and it is completely unimportant with format I use, even videos without audio are bugging this way. Even WAV-files do. So that's not the problem.

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2016 at 9:35:28 am

Edit: I fixed the problem. When changing my audio output to ASIO and then back to MME it works again.

Return to posts index

Thomas EndermanRe: Preview/Timeline jumping back, very weird like laging/bugging
by on May 30, 2016 at 5:21:42 am

Mine too

Did you try turning off playback to beginning in the settings?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]