ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Is it best to deinterlace VOBs inside PP, or have it done during the conversion?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan KnightIs it best to deinterlace VOBs inside PP, or have it done during the conversion?
by on Apr 10, 2016 at 10:24:48 pm

I'm struggling to get VOBs to show up properly in PP. Therefore I convert them with a 3rd party app first... maybe WinXDVD, or Handbrake... my question is, should I deinterlace this footage during such a conversion or wait until I've imported the footage into PP and let Adobe handle the deinterlacing?

Also, I know that MP4 is pretty popular - is this the format you would recommend I convert to in order to bring it in PP? (I will be upscaling this DVD video in a 720p sequence).

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Is it best to deinterlace VOBs inside PP, or have it done during the conversion?
by on Apr 11, 2016 at 1:30:08 pm

VOB files are basically MPEG. You can change file file extension to MPG and it should drop right into the timeline. For that matter, I have dropped the files, still with the VOB file extension, right into the timeline.

I am curious - how does the system prevent you from adding them to the timeline? Do you get a warning or dialog box? What version of Premiere Pro are you running, and what system type?

Personally I would only use h.264 MP4 as a final deliverable (if appropriate or specified) rather than an editing codec. It is a high compression, lossy codec.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Alan KnightRe: Is it best to deinterlace VOBs inside PP, or have it done during the conversion?
by on Apr 11, 2016 at 9:34:02 pm

It was taking VOBs that are 720x480 and reading them as 540x480 and could not get passed this unless I converted to an MP4 using Handbrake and then importing that.

However, today I had the good fortune of persuading the post production supervisor of the company to provide me with a very high quality 1080p file so its no longer an issue now as I wont be using compressed VOB files from the DVD.

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]