ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro 9.2 & Graphics card CUDA problems, video goes black! Poof!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom LaughlinPremiere Pro 9.2 & Graphics card CUDA problems, video goes black! Poof!
by on Apr 9, 2016 at 5:41:55 am
Last Edited By Tom Laughlin on Apr 9, 2016 at 5:53:26 am

So I got a beefed up MacPro 12-core, a few months ago, and it has just started acting erratic with Premiere Pro. I'm not sure what is going on, as I thought the Nvidia Quadro 4000 graphics cards was going out.

All of the sudden things got all pixeled, and crash! This is what I would see, then both of my monitor screens would flash white two or three times, and then Premiere crashes!

So, I took the MacPro back, replaced the Nvidia Quadro 4000 card with a Nvidia GTX-780, and now, instead of crashing and going nuts, Premiere does not crash, HOWEVER, whenever I am editing, (Cuda enabled, timeline in yellow), about 5-10 minutes into editing, everything in the preview and source monitor goes BLACK!. No video at all. I still get audio, but no video.

Ok, so when I restart the project, and video is back, then 5-10 minutes into editing, POOF! No video, ok so I can try this and that. I TURN OFF the CUDA acceleration, and video comes back, editing is fine, but everything is a little bit slower and timeline is of course all red. I want CUDA acceleration out of my 4GB card, so I turn CUDA back on, and POOF! My video signal is GONE.

I first started to notice this especially immediately AFTER I exported a video clip out of Media Encoder, and the CUDA is fast and fine in exporting, it is when I return to , and going back into the edit, Premiere goes black, no video. I retraced my steps very carefully, from the same problems in this prjects, with the Quadro 4000, and now the GTX-780, and I wanted to see if there was a change in all the editing, the exports are faster, way faster, with the GTX, but the video goes black. No crashes, the video just goes black.

Here's the screenshots of what is happening, and any help would be great.

Before, with my previous card that came with this MacPro, it had a Nvidia Quadro 4000 in it, and I think I maxed that card out completely. No other edits are crashing. This edit is heavy in graphics, some graphics are very big, so I'm not sure if that is part of it. Here are some of the graphics, maybe they are part of the problem? There sizes are huge, and the files are .PNG's.

Can anyone help me figure this issue out? Do I need to re-install a driver? Am I missing a driver? Is this card not compatible with Premiere 9.2? Are the graphics in this edit, just too big for the card to handle? I found this post, by Kevin:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1249356?tstart=0

But I do not believe the card or components are "under-powered" or "out-dated", I just got this MacPro.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Premiere Pro 9.2 & Graphics card CUDA problems, video goes black! Poof!
by on Apr 9, 2016 at 8:24:24 am

So Tom,

Exactly why did you leave the GeForce GT120 installed in your computer? And, why did you not mention it in any of your rather long explanation? With the second care you're probably either overheating your Mac or drawing too much current from the power supply. Have you tried taking the 2nd card out?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Tom LaughlinRe: Premiere Pro 9.2 & Graphics card CUDA problems, video goes black! Poof!
by on Apr 9, 2016 at 2:43:13 pm

David, I apologize! I'm new to how thing is all unfolding here with this macpro. Yes, I will try and take the other card out and see if this helps. The reason for the long thread was that I wanted to help everyone get the chase with as much info on my end, just so people can see what I have been trying and seeing. I'll ensure my posts are shorter next time, sorry! Thanks again!

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Premiere Pro 9.2 & Graphics card CUDA problems, video goes black! Poof!
by on Apr 9, 2016 at 4:10:24 pm

Tom,

Please sir, don't get me wrong, I'm all about detail and precision, and as you know, I've been helping you and others solve these hardware riddles here since caveman days. My only jab at you was that you're having graphics card issues, but never once mentioned that 2nd card, I just happened to notice it in one of the graphics you posted and was surprised to see it was not on your radar.

For the record, that older card can't be helping, it's ancient, and can only hurt you. Your GTX 780 supports three displays, so there is no good reason why you need that old piece of iron onboard.

In addition, why are you stuck on Mavericks? It was Apple's shortest lived version of the OS ever, and was not beloved by software developers. If you're in the middle of projects I can understand your reluctance to shift to a new version, but on a Mac it's easy to build a test boot drive on a FireWire or USB drive. Call me, I'll walk you through the safe way of doing it if you're nervous (my number is easy to find).

David

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Tom LaughlinRe: Premiere Pro 9.2 & Graphics card CUDA problems, video goes black! Poof!
by on Apr 9, 2016 at 7:30:21 pm

David, always great to get your feedback and input! When you're back in Utah again, we need to get together. Let Phil Boyack and/or Avid know that we need another event with ProMax and Avid!

Regarding the OS, I am between projects and will be able to switch to Yosemite here in a few weeks, however I've heard Yosemite and Premiere Pro aren't playing NCOs either. From compatibility or stability issues, to bugs and weird things happening, with other editors posting issues, I will probably test this out as you've mentioned, doing a boot drive here in a few weeks.

With the graphics card advice, so that's where I'm weak in the know how. I don't have a ton of experience with graphics cards as my precious Macpros were the default factory cards so I never had to update cards or put in newer cards. So this graphics card situation has definitely opened me up to a whole new part of post production editing and troubleshooting. I also had no idea about the GT-120 being part of the problem. The main reason I never thought about that is, the gentlemen who built out my macpro 5,1 12-core, he told me that the reason he installed two cards was the help alleviate the workload of each card. So instead of running one card too much, by splitting the workload of the two cards, both cards wouldn't work as hard and the faster card would work even faster with one monitor hooked up to it, instead of two. So my dual monitors are set up where my main monitor on the left is run by my GTX-780 and my right monitor is being run and hooked up to my right monitor. I just figured that the two cards would share the payload.

From what you're saying, ditch the GT-120, so I'll try that. Does that mean to plug in both computer monitors into the 780, and leave the 120 inside the macpro, OR, to take the 120 completely out of the macpro all together?

Thanks for the note. I'll try this out this evening and let you know how things go. If things are still weird, I'll hear up and move into Yosemite ASAP. I did read a blog that someone was having issues with Yosemite and the GTX-780, but I didn't get s chance to read in depth how they were using it and with what app.

Will keep you posted and if your or others have any more things to try, let me know.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah

Return to posts index

by on Apr 9, 2016 at 9:49:56 pm

Hey Tom,

FYI, I'm back to being an indie filmmaker just like you now.

Meanwhile, take that older card out now, do not pass go, etc., etc. While in the days just a few years back, sharing the chores between cards was a good thing, nowadays the cards are so powerful you just don't need to use two cards unless you really splurge and go with two very powerful cards. But, the days of splitting display chores between two poorly matched cards like yours are long gone.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: Premiere Pro 9.2 & Graphics card CUDA problems, video goes black! Poof!
by on Apr 9, 2016 at 9:37:29 am

I discussed an issue like a few post ago... There's clearly something wrong with CUDA and Yosemite that was never solved. If you google "Premiere Cuda and Yosemite" you find a lot of people complaining.
I know you're on Mavericks but someone is having this issue on mavericks too...
Did you try uninstalling CUDA and using openCL?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 9, 2016 at 2:40:17 pm

Pierpaulo,

So there is a few things I have tried and thiught would help but didn't:

1. Change graphics from being PNGs to JPGs and TIFFs, still video goes black.
2. Found some precious Nvidia Cuda drivers v6.0.41 and v6.0.51, these cuda driver updates were released around the time Mavericks would've been released and Nvidia cards needing this update. Still nothing.
3. I have not yet tried reinstalling the latest cuda driver. The precious card I was using ran using the latest cuda driver installed and I thought card was going out. I took out the Nvidia quadro 4000 and replaced it with a Nvidia GTX-780, and simply left the latest Nvidia driver installed. Should I try and remove and reinstall the Nvidia driver? Back a few years ago, Nvidia drivers were card specific, now Nvidia has a driver for mac based cards, this driver just covers all cards now, so I know for now, the latest cuda driver is installed.
4. Tested cuda with exporting video via media encoder, and exports are fast and exports look good and the media encoder is able to use cuda and exports are fast and all functionality there is ok, it's Premeire where video goes black intermittently.
5. Since I am on Mavericks, I'm not sure if it a problem with my graphics, so I opened up another projects and spend 10 minutes snapping around the play head in the timeline trying to get video to go black, this project does not have any 3-6k graphics, in the project, so I wonder if this is like a problem with the project not being able to handle (using cuda enabled) the 3-6k still graphic one files. (Fcp7 was notorious for crashing when you used large images, and people had to scale them down or open them in Photoshop and save them in a 1080p size instead of 2-6k, cause fcp7 simply didn't like them and crashed a lot back then...)
6. I looked at my Mac specs, and as you can see, this macpro is a workhorse, and is robust enough to handle 3-6k editing. I use Rampant Effects, 4K .mov files and they play just fine on the timeline, so 4K video seems to handle ok.

Any other ideas?

Thanks everyone, please more comments or thoughts!

Tom

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Premiere Pro 9.2 & Graphics card CUDA problems, video goes black! Poof!
by on Apr 10, 2016 at 2:43:42 am

can you narrow it down to cpu cores, ram, mercury transmit, sound card, mac permissions?

try these:

1. preferences-optimize rendering for performance

2. Limit Premiere's RAM allocation to 32Gb

3. limit premiere to utilize only 16 cores for PP

4. Set Preferences : > Audio hardware > Default Input: to None

5. disable mercury transmit

6. mac permission issue
http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2014/09/10/premiere-pro-cc-freezing-on-...

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Premiere Pro 9.2 & Graphics card CUDA problems, video goes black! Poof!
by on Apr 9, 2016 at 10:40:10 pm

Yes, here too. I posted a while back about crashing and alluded to CUDA but my post was deleted.

We are also working with AJA because when we disable our Kona LHi cards we get more stable performance.

We have 2010 and 2012 Mac Pros with almost all GTX 680's and plenty of regular RAM. Just lots of odd crashing where our monitors go completely black and we have nothing....only a hard restart.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: Premiere Pro 9.2 & Graphics card CUDA problems, video goes black! Poof!
by on Apr 11, 2016 at 10:57:29 pm

Have you tried OpenCL instead of CUDA?

I can't even use multi-cam smoothly even on low res setting with
the current CUDA driver.

I'm on Mavericks.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2016 at 11:34:53 pm

Chris,

The last version of the OS you should be running under is Mavericks. That was the biggest piece of crud Apple ever released, as should be obvious based upon the very brief time it existed before being replaced El Cap.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: Premiere Pro 9.2 & Graphics card CUDA problems, video goes black! Poof!
by on Apr 12, 2016 at 6:22:52 pm
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on Apr 12, 2016 at 6:25:31 pm

David, unfortunately any OS beyond Mavericks breaks key infrastructure here.

I have a windows server I cannot access (SMB was changed beyond Mavericks) as well as fiber channel cards that will not
function on anything beyond Mavericks. So I'm stuck here for now.

Previous version of premiere prior to CC 2015.02 worked just fine
with CUDA and multi-cam. Unfortunately I cannot roll back premiere
and CUDA is currently in limbo for some of us.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2016 at 6:23:29 pm
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on Apr 12, 2016 at 6:23:56 pm

double post

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2016 at 11:07:10 pm

is there a difference?

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2016 at 11:22:26 pm

Tom,

Please, before you start changing things that are messed up in other people's computers, please open the box and yank that ancient card out of there and see if the damn thing works. That old card is not achieving any positive benefits for you, period, end of story. Your Mac mechanic who left that in should be paying you (and me) for making that stupid decision.

This is my last post on the subject until you tell me that card is dead and buried...

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2016 at 6:37:04 pm

David, the only computer I'm talking about is my own, so I'm not going around and changing other computers, I'm just working on mine. This evening, I'll be doing some more testing with the gentlemen who built out my Mac. We will remove the graphics card, the GTX-120, and repeating the same editing tests inside Premiere, to see if the editing continues unobstructed, or if the edit starts acting up, when and where it previously did. Several post house managers in Utah I've spoken with are keeping their Macs on Mavericks for a bit longer. They are also staying on Premiere 9.0 and 9.1, for a while longer. i'm on 9.2 the latest version, so I don't think that's an issue with all this.

Thanks for everyone's help, andI'll keep you posted.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah

Return to posts index

by on Apr 15, 2016 at 4:15:26 pm

I was able to get this computer problem solved, along with using some of the suggestions, you all mentioned here. So here's what we found:

With the GTX-120 and the GXT-780 still inside theMac:

1. Even for a 12-core, 3.33GHz, 64GB Ram, Mac Pro, when editing, we found that it sometimes strugged with edting or moving large graphics around, we are talking a logo that a cleint sent over that is 600dpi, with a resolution of about 6K, something like 5800x3400, some insanely high resolution, and as a .png file, that may not have helped out as well. The graphic was clearly causing Premiere to choke, not giving it enough time to cache the file, so every 2-3 minutes into editing, the video playback would be lost. This did not happen with any 4K .mov files, so we isolated the first problem - relating to the graphic.

2. We also noticed that the macPro DID have the most current CUDA driver. But, the MacPro DID NOT have the "NVidia Driver Manager" installed, which actually talks to the CUDA and Mac, and ensure they are working properly. CUDA driver alone, will not help, I needed to install the "NVidia Driver Manager", which also makes it so your mac can talk directly to the NVidia card, and stabilizing it's usage and over-all performance. Once installed, a new icon shows up in the System Prefs, as well as on the upper right hand side, and you can open the "NVidia Driver Manager", and set your Mac to Run on the Nvidia card "properly" - with Premiere Pro. Upon opening the new app, we set the Preferences to "Nvidia Web Driver", instead of the "OS X Default Graphics Driver".

3. We also yanked the GTX-120 out of the MacPro, which was drawing power away from the GTX-780. Having two cards running on the same driver, both fighting for usage and power and ampage rights, we immediately also saw that the Mac's performance editing in Premiere, helped out a ton.

4. Lastly, to ensure the GTX-780 was being used, we not only connecting both monitors to the GTX-780, but we also made sure that we took the huge graphics, and scaled them down in Photoshop to a 1080p sizing, with a 72dpi, more screen friendly and graphically LESS intensive and straining on the MacPro.

With all these fixes, the MacPro has not lost any playback, for about a week, so far, all is well, and the Mac is stable.

Thanks,

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah

Return to posts index

by on Apr 19, 2016 at 11:23:23 pm

So far so good, week 01, no issues.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah

Return to posts index

by on Apr 19, 2016 at 11:48:29 pm

Of course not. We're you expecting problems? Once you finally got that second GPU out that probably solved all your issues.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]