ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Mac is rebooting during rendering

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob OrrMac is rebooting during rendering
by on Apr 8, 2016 at 12:22:40 pm

Hi folks,

I just recently switched from FCP to Premiere, using cuda processing now.
But I am facing this: In the middle of a longer render process exporting material with some color grading and denoising my computer shuts down, reboots and says something like „you shut down your computer due to a problem…“
I didn’t do anything, I didn’t even run any other program while rendering. After experienced that a few times I took out the graphics card GTX 780 and put in the Quadro 2000. I made sure that the drivers were up to date for both cards but then I experienced the same thing with the Quadro 2000.
So I decided not to use cuda processing. That helped me getting the material out safely.

Does anyone have a clou, what the problem might be?
Somehow it must be related to the graphics card, …power supply?
I would be glad for any help on this problem.

This is my system:
Adobe CC
OSX 10.5.5
Mac 3,1
2x2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
24GB RAM
GTX 780 alternatively: Quadro 2000

Thanks in advance
Best B.

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: Mac is rebooting during rendering
by on Apr 8, 2016 at 1:34:07 pm

Are you on 10.5.5 or 10.10.5?

Return to posts index

Bob OrrRe: Mac is rebooting during rendering
by on Apr 8, 2016 at 1:36:00 pm

Thanks, my mistake, I am on 10.10.5.

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: Mac is rebooting during rendering
by on Apr 8, 2016 at 1:59:26 pm

I think it could be the infamous Yosemite / CUDA bug...
I had this... My graphic board was replaced twice and still had the problem... The only solution was to completely uninstall CUDA and use OpenCL... Then, when the project I was working on was finished, I downgraded to Mavericks...
I don't know if some CUDA update solves the problem but if you google "Premiere, Yosemite and CUDA" you find a lot of people having problems...

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2016 at 2:17:47 pm

I see, thanks.
Then mybe the solution could be to upgrade to El Capitan.

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: Mac is rebooting during rendering
by on Apr 8, 2016 at 7:53:40 pm

I too have had "CUDA issues" of late.

multicam is impossibly clunky, even with a mere 3 camera angles/tracks.

I used to be able to do 6 without any problem.

Did some reading and apparently CUDA is buggy right now and the recommended
workaround is to use OpenCL til NVIDIA gets it together.

I switched to OpenCL and the multicam is now working smooth as it should.

Running Mavericks here.

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: Mac is rebooting during rendering
by on Apr 9, 2016 at 3:21:37 pm

Just as an alternative, make sure you aren't running out of RAM. I found that if I watched my processes while I work, and while something is being rendered, you can see if you start to get dangerously close to maximum RAM. When that happens, I've had the machine reboot. While 24 GBs should be ok, with 4K processing and multicam, along with graphics intensive work you might use that much. It's certainly a cheaper fix than redoing the OS.

By the way, check to make sure you are really on the current version of CUDA drivers. There has been a new update since January, I can't remember what is the number, but go to Nvidia and check. That fixed some issues I was having on an iMac running 10.10.5.

Best of luck.

AMB

Al

Return to posts index

by on Apr 13, 2016 at 5:21:18 pm

Thanks for all of you advice.

Now this is a bit confusing: things seem to work right now.
Same system, same GPU, no newer driver.

I did this:
I switched back from the Quadro to the GTX first.
My plan was to make a backup and then upgrading the system hoping the new system and driver would solve the issue.
Now I wanted to give it a shot and render my previous sequence in order to see if the machine would run out of RAM before crashing.
Before I checked the drivers again and there was a cuda driver available dating from January 2016. I guess this had to be reinstalled after switching GPUs. I am 150% sure that I was up to date after putting in the GTX in March, I even double checked through the preference pane when I had the events of crashing.
Now I started rendering and nothing of the expected happened again.
RAM in use during rendering was always below 4GB, the program is set to "use 18GB" and "leave 6GB" to other programs.
Rendering 30min of 1080p in ProResHQ material to H.264 in vbr 10mbit took roughly 2h. A few tracks, some color correction, some denoising.

I am glad it worked but still a bit worried not to know why.

Best B.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]