ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Output XDCAM in Quicktime Wrapper with Adobe Premiere by installing Apple Compressor?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl DunfordOutput XDCAM in Quicktime Wrapper with Adobe Premiere by installing Apple Compressor?
by on Apr 4, 2016 at 10:00:21 am

HI,
I need to export XDCAM 25 PAL 50i in a quicktime wrapper, which I know isn't possible with Premiere Pro alone, but I have seen that people that have Final Cut Pro installed have that option.

I don't particularly want to spend USD299 on FCP, just so I can export my files. But I could live with spending USD50 on Apple Compressor if I have that option available to me.

So my question is, will I have all the quicktime codecs available on my system specifically in Premiere Pro if I install Apple Compressor?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Mike janowskiRe: Output XDCAM in Quicktime Wrapper with Adobe Premiere by installing Apple Compressor?
by on Apr 4, 2016 at 2:55:07 pm

Uh...would this work for ya?

Return to posts index

Carl DunfordRe: Output XDCAM in Quicktime Wrapper with Adobe Premiere by installing Apple Compressor?
by on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:20:39 am

Yes that would work for me. Do you have compressor installed on your machine? Because I don't have that option available to me.

Return to posts index

Don HertzRe: Output XDCAM in Quicktime Wrapper with Adobe Premiere by installing Apple Compressor?
by on Apr 5, 2016 at 2:23:49 pm

I'm running CC2015 on a freshly configured iMac system (thanks to a hard drive failure). I also have the latest version of Compressor installed. XDCAM is no longer available as an option under the Quicktime format. I have to choose MXF to have access to the XDCAM codecs.

At one point, you used to be able to install Compressor or the ProApps Codec package to get them to show up. That no longer works. I'm not sure if there is another work around. I didn't look into it too hard as my client was fine with me using the MXF wrapper instead of Quicktime.

I'd be curious to see if anyone else has a solution in case it pops up again.

Don Hertz

Return to posts index

Mike janowskiRe: Output XDCAM in Quicktime Wrapper with Adobe Premiere by installing Apple Compressor?
by on Apr 5, 2016 at 3:19:50 pm

Interesting. I'm running PP 2015 on a MacTower, which still has my FCP 7/Compressor 4 setup. Perhaps that's where I got the XDCAM codec, though you'd think the geniuses at Adobe would realize that since a lot of broadcasters USE XDCAM QTs, and they could perhaps make money by adding it to their feature set, it would be easy-cheesy. But nothing is easy in this new digital age...

Perhaps try this? It SEEMS to maybe include what you need, without the bother of installing Compressor...

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396?locale=en_US

Return to posts index

Carl DunfordRe: Output XDCAM in Quicktime Wrapper with Adobe Premiere by installing Apple Compressor?
by on Apr 5, 2016 at 11:19:37 pm

Hi Guys
Thanks for your input so far.

Mike Janowski I tried installing Pro Video Formats but they wouldn't allow me to install it unless I had either Compressor, Final Cut Pro, or motion already installed, which lead to the idea of whether I could install Compressor and hence this thread.

Don Hertz, have you installed Pro Video Formats for your version of Compressor?

this was the screen I got when I tried to install it, so Im assuming if I do install compressor I could install Pro Video Formats and thus get the codec I need. But would be great if I could get a confirmation on this.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 5, 2016 at 11:47:28 pm

Thanks for keeping me informed...never being without FCP, I never worried about the (constantly nagging) reminders to update Pro Video Formats. Leave it to Apple to make simple computing complicated.

I'm guessing you could "borrow" someone's copy of Compressor and get this done.

Return to posts index

Don HertzRe: Output XDCAM in Quicktime Wrapper with Adobe Premiere by installing Apple Compressor?
by on Apr 6, 2016 at 1:14:40 am

I finally got it to work. Not sure you actually need Compressor (although I have it).

1. I downloaded the latest Pro Video Codecs 2.0.4 installer as noted.
2. Then I used a free application called "Unpkg" to unpack the installer files.
3. I manually copied the codecs from the package into the "Macintosh HD > Library > Quicktime" folder.
4. After a reboot and re-launching Adobe Media Encoder, I now have the XDCAM codecs back under Quicktime.

After you unpack the files, "unpkg" will create a new folder on the Desktop called "ProVideoFormats". Inside that folder you need to go to the "ProVideoFormats > Library > Quicktime" folder. That's where you'll find the codecs you need to copy over to the Quicktime folder on your Macintosh HD. I'd suggest making a back up copy of your original Quicktime folder on the desktop before giving it a shot.

I'd actually gone through this process once before without luck, but perhaps I missed something in the process. Seems to be working fine now!

Don

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2016 at 3:16:50 pm

Thanks for all the help guys!
I wish I saw Don Hertz solution first, would have been good to try it out, but a friend assured me if Installed compressor, and then installed the ProVideo codecs I definitely would have the XDCAM codecs, which I did.

Thanks again for all of your help, my first time posting and getting a response was strangely comforting!

Carl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]