ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Laptop for editing 4k (GH4/offline)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben EdwardsLaptop for editing 4k (GH4/offline)
by on Apr 4, 2016 at 8:38:56 am

Hi, I have a Dell Precision D66000 with 16GB of memory and am trying to edit 4k GH4 footage. offline is OK, dont mind playing at 1/4 or 1/8 rez. Not sure if it is powerfull enough. Should it be?

Anyway I think I may need to buy a new laptp (client wants we to edit onsite). I am realy hoping I can get something for £1000, or even under. Its for cutting documentery, nothing flash.

Be good if peole could tell me what laptops will defenatly work, lots of 'should work' type advice but if I am spending that mutch need to be sure it will be OK.

It would be great to be able to afford to spend twice that but I dont often get asked to edit onsite and have never been asked to edit 4k before so need to be carfull what I spend. The day rate is not briliand, but is OK.

I can take a second monitor so 15" is OK, 17" would be better.

Regards,
Ben

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 3550 3.3Ghz, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 16GB Mem

Return to posts index

Eric SantiagoRe: Laptop for editing 4k (GH4/offline)
by on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:52:24 pm

Not sure what the GPU is on that Dell but thats the key for 4K.
Ive been editing on a MacBook Pro 2008 Uni with BMD 2.5K, RED 4K and up and GH4 4K for awhile now.
Its the last 17" with NVIDIA :(
Its all on the GPU I do believe.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Laptop for editing 4k (GH4/offline)
by on Apr 5, 2016 at 1:15:26 pm

On the Windows side I always look at the "Gaming" computers because they generally have the beefier GPUs which is what you want for editing video along with as much RAM as you can afford. Minimum 16GB RAM, if you can afford more the better. Cutting H264 files whether from a GH4 or GoPro is always taxing on a computer. One way to make the editing smoother could be to convert to another format like Cineform. You can do this in Adobe Media Encoder or even Davinci Resolve (free) which has awesome media management / transcode features.

That being said, I cut GH4 natively on my woefully underpowered MacBook Air all the time using a USB3 hub powered drive. It works fine for offline, but for a large project it would start to bog down for sure. This machine is only 1.3Ghz Intel Core i5 with 4GB RAM.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]