ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro Exporting DPX File Size

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael PikePremiere Pro Exporting DPX File Size
by on Apr 3, 2016 at 4:43:21 pm

Hi

I am trying to export off a DPX from Premiere Pro 6, I just wondering what are the best settings? The settings I used to test with just a 1 minute of 4k footage it is coming out as about 50GB this seems way to high to me or maybe its not. If anyone can confirm or know a better option please let me know.

Here is a screen shot of the settings I was using

From Mike

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Premiere Pro Exporting DPX File Size
by on Apr 3, 2016 at 6:05:21 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Apr 3, 2016 at 8:10:37 pm

nice! very few people get this right the first time. You actually have the right settings for full range output, no rolloffs, maximum bitrate etc.

That being said, dpx is a monster for size. you may need to re-ask yourself if a 4k ProRes 4444 XQ(12 bit designed for camera original) would better suit your needs. dpx,exr, dng are for archiving RAW. prores 4k is for archiving masters of a final output for various devices. 16 bit Tiffs are used for DCP's as well, but they are also big and lose RAW info because they are linear and also not float.

Return to posts index

Michael PikeRe: Premiere Pro Exporting DPX File Size
by on Apr 3, 2016 at 8:42:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Chris, this is being done for the colourist and they have requested a DPX so what would the be the best alternate for them to use?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Premiere Pro Exporting DPX File Size
by on Apr 3, 2016 at 8:48:24 pm

eh, wouldn't the colorist ask for an edl with handles and the raw's so there's no rendering?
or
did you one light conform the RAW? As for size, dpx and exr are same size. this is odd to me. there's no point in giving a dpx if you can hand over edl.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Premiere Pro Exporting DPX File Size
by on Apr 4, 2016 at 3:55:32 am

[Chris Wright] "eh, wouldn't the colorist ask for an edl with handles and the raw's so there's no rendering?"

No, if their workflow is DPX based. DPX is uncompressed and it will take a lot of space. Only thing affecting the size is the frame dimensions because there's no compression between the frames.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]