ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere PRO CC Terrible XAVC Efficiency compared to VLC

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake McCurdyPremiere PRO CC Terrible XAVC Efficiency compared to VLC
by on Mar 31, 2016 at 6:34:30 pm

Premiere Pro's FS7 XAVC decoding efficiency seems is terrible for me. Trying to play any 4K XAVC-I clip maxes out my 8-core Mac Pro at any resolution, even 1/16th. The exact same clip on the exact same machine plays flawlessly using about 20% of the CPU with VLC. Why would it suck up all the CPU at any setting when VLC plays the same clip flawlessly with such little utilization?

Mac Pro 5,1 2.4Ghz 8-core
32GB
GTX 680
24TB RAID 6 via ATTO sas card
Premiere Pro 2015.2

Am I missing something? Do I need to install a Sony codec or 3rd party decoder to get PP to work with FS7 footage efficiently? I'd really rather edit native than have to transcode everything to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Steve ConnorRe: Premiere PRO CC Terrible XAVC Efficiency compared to VLC
by on Mar 31, 2016 at 7:43:38 pm

[Jake McCurdy] "Premiere Pro's FS7 XAVC decoding efficiency seems is terrible for me. Trying to play any 4K XAVC-I clip maxes out my 8-core Mac Pro at any resolution, even 1/16th. The exact same clip on the exact same machine plays flawlessly using about 20% of the CPU with VLC. Why would it suck up all the CPU at any setting when VLC plays the same clip flawlessly with such little utilization?
"

I get this as well, FCPX play the files fine but PPro can't cope well. Wish they would fix it

Return to posts index

Jake McCurdyRe: Premiere PRO CC Terrible XAVC Efficiency compared to VLC
by on Mar 31, 2016 at 10:04:40 pm

That's what I was afraid of. It's odd. We have another 4K project shot at a similar bitrate on a A7SII and it only use about 10% CPU.

The FS7 footage playback also totally dies anytime you layer 2-3 tracks, even if there is no transition, opacity or transfer function in play. It's as if Premiere is trying to decode all the tracks before it figures out it should just ignore the lower tracks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]