ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

The blue progress line

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe VerdoniThe blue progress line
by on Mar 31, 2016 at 12:31:32 pm

I am editing my 4K movies with Premiere Pro CC 2015, maybe be I haven’t defined correctly the basic project settings but it appears that each time I re-open a project I have to wait a long time before the footages in the timeline have been regenerated as they were when I had saved and closed the project. During that time, I can see a blue progress line increasing in the left bottom part of the project window. Could you help me improve this situation.

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: The blue progress line
by on Mar 31, 2016 at 12:52:57 pm

Philippe, please give us more information. What wrapper/codec is your footage? How about your computer, including storage, RAM and video card? We need more information before anyone can really help.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Philippe VerdoniRe: The blue progress line
by on Mar 31, 2016 at 10:13:52 pm

-> John
I am using Premiere Adobe CC 2015 inplemented on my desktop as follows:
Intel Core i7-2700K 64bits - Windows 10
Ram 16 Go
Video boards: Nvidia GeForce GTS450 and Nvidia GeForce 210 with 3 video screens
6 Terabits storage on 4 hard drives
Thank you for your help

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: The blue progress line
by on Mar 31, 2016 at 1:26:01 pm
Last Edited By Pierpaolo Ferlaino on Mar 31, 2016 at 1:27:13 pm

If you're talking about peak files take a look here
Maybe it can help with your issue...

Return to posts index

by on Mar 31, 2016 at 10:06:56 pm

-> Pierpaolo
I have tried the Tom Laughlin method as quoted in your message and,at the first glance, it seems to work. I need to further investigate this method since I wish to know if the problem was due to the initial location of the Media Cache and Media Cache Files (in the System/User directory) which I moved to my project directory or to an other cause. In other words, is it detrimental to save the Media cache files in the System unit?
Thank you for your assistance.

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: The blue progress line
by on Apr 1, 2016 at 9:05:13 am

I can't help you with the origin of the problem. As far as I know it started in Premiere CS6 according to what I read on Adobe forums.
Personally, I had this problem working with 4K media files from a Sony FS7 editing them natively and the media cache was in its default location. However I never had this problem with ProRes...

As for the cache location, the best location is the fastest drive you have on your computer and it has to be a different location than where your media files are stored.
Usually the fastest drive is an internal one... If you have multiple drives you can choose one different from your system drive.

Personally I have a single SSD drive, which is very fast and I leave caches on the default location (System Drive) though I'm thinking of adding a new drive.

IMHO having Premiere cache files on your system drive can be a concern because of drive fragmentation on mechanical drives but, as far as I know, it shouldn't be a big problem if you have a large drive with a lot of free space and clean your caches regularly...

Return to posts index

by on Apr 1, 2016 at 9:07:36 pm

-> Pierpaolo
Thank you for the time you have spent to summarize your opinion about the best location of the Mediacache directory. I am thinking of buying an SSD drive for this purpose.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]