ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

A clip in a sequence with stereo master track sound louder than the same clip in the sequence with 5.1 master track...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve MarceA clip in a sequence with stereo master track sound louder than the same clip in the sequence with 5.1 master track...
by on Mar 30, 2016 at 9:03:21 am
Last Edited By Steve Marce on Apr 1, 2016 at 10:53:51 am

Hey there guys,
I'm using premiere pro cs6 for a project. Initially when I created a new project in cs6 I knew very less about audio mixing and so I created a sequence for my project using the default dslr 1080p preset coz this preset had all that I needed and by default the master track in this preset is stereo. :'(
Later I needed to do a 5.1 mix for the project and the master track in my sequence was stereo. I tried to change the master track type to 5.1 but couldn't do it. I did some research and found that i can't change the master track type of a sequence later once the sequence is created.

So i created a new sequence in the same project and this time I changed the master track to 5.1 in the dslr 1080p preset and saved it as a custom preset. But now comes my big problem... When I copied the clips from the sequence with stereo master track and pasted them into my new sequence with 5.1 master track, the clips sound low in volume in my new sequence with 5.1 master track and when i play the same clips in the stereo master sequence they sound normal, loud enough. Its just that I copy pasted the clips to the new 5.1 master track sequence and when I play the clips there they sound low in volume than in the sequence with stereo master track... I play the same clips first in my old stereo master track sequence and then the same copy/pasted clips in 5.1 master track sequence and the clips now sound low in volume.

I've checked all the parameters of the clips and they are same in both the sequences. When I play the clips with the audio mixer opened, the bar rises to the same level, shows the same readings of dBs but I can't understand why they sound low in 5.1 master track sequence.

I'm greatly stuck here...done all the editing, just the audio is left... Help would be greatly appreciated guys...

And yes the clips sounding low are the dialogue clips, the actual raw footage from the camera. Music and dubbed dialogues are not yet done so haven't copy pasted them, just the raw camera footage.

I'm using headphones...is that the reason why I'm hearing less sound..? Will the final product after editing and mixing, when heard in 5.1 sound normal?

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Steve MarceRe: A clip in a sequence with stereo master track sound louder than the same clip in the sequence with 5.1 master track...
by on Apr 1, 2016 at 10:58:17 am

Waiting for some suggestions desperately...

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: A clip in a sequence with stereo master track sound louder than the same clip in the sequence with 5.1 master track...
by on Apr 1, 2016 at 1:06:07 pm

did you set them to mono first?

Return to posts index

Steve MarceRe: A clip in a sequence with stereo master track sound louder than the same clip in the sequence with 5.1 master track...
by on Apr 1, 2016 at 8:44:24 pm

@Chris wright

The default raw clips' audio are on the track type "standard". Standard type audio track supports both mono and stereo... So..

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

by on Apr 1, 2016 at 8:56:11 pm

Thnx for replying back man. Looking for further inputs...

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: A clip in a sequence with stereo master track sound louder than the same clip in the sequence with 5.1 master track...
by on Apr 2, 2016 at 1:45:33 am

in edit-preferences-audio, what is your 5.1 mixdown type?

is sum multichannel outputs to mono in source monitor checked?

in audio hardware:
what are your outputmapping channels set to?

the reason we use mono for mastering is because we can detect phase cancelling issues which can lower or even completely remove channels!

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: A clip in a sequence with stereo master track sound louder than the same clip in the sequence with 5.1 master track...
by on Apr 1, 2016 at 1:43:27 pm
Last Edited By Pierpaolo Ferlaino on Apr 1, 2016 at 1:50:50 pm

Are you judging you 5.1 mix on stereo headphones? You should monitor it in a 5.1 environment...

Return to posts index

by on Apr 1, 2016 at 8:51:38 pm

@ Pierpaolo Ferlaino

So if I hear them through a 5.1 output they will sound right...correct?

That means the sound is low coz I'm listening them through monitor headphones, ryt?
If that's the case then its fyn.. I will arrange for a 5.1 setup once I finish with it.. I don't have it at the moment...

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

by on Apr 1, 2016 at 8:58:13 pm

Thnx for replying back man. Looking forward for your inputs...

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

rosh kadriRe: A clip in a sequence with stereo master track sound louder than the same clip in the sequence with 5.1 master track...
by on Apr 4, 2016 at 6:29:41 am

If you're mixing in surround, you need a surround setup with a minimum of 5 speakers. You can add a sixth for the LFE channel.

Mixing in stereo vs surround are two separate beasts. There are ways to monitor surround through two speakers, it just does not make sense to do so if you're destination is 5.1. The levels will sound different too of course.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 4, 2016 at 3:14:05 pm

Thnx for your feedback... Appreciate it.

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]