ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Fix changing/variable lighting for entire video

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack HallettFix changing/variable lighting for entire video
by on Mar 30, 2016 at 4:47:22 am

Hello,

I have a client that I edit Youtube videos for, and they recently sent me a long video that is a conversation between two people. The lighting in the scene is constantly changing as they are using a window as their only source of light and the clouds move throughout the conversation. Here are two screenshots to give you an idea of the color change.

The only way I know of for getting the lighting of the entire video to be constant is to basically go frame-by-frame with color correction tools, but that would take far too long. I'm wondering if there is an effect or plug-in for Premiere or After Effects that can make the entire video look similar. I know I won't be able to get every frame exactly the same, but the more consistent the better.
1 global.view Tags (edit):

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Fix changing/variable lighting for entire video
by on Mar 30, 2016 at 6:08:37 am

Unfortunately your client made a tremendous mistake for which there is no magical fix. And, though you never really mentioned the frequency of the light shifts, if it's really constantly changing over short intervals, you'll never achieve a satisfactory result even if you go frame by frame. So, you'd better start thinking about covering up most of the talking heads with b-roll.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Fix changing/variable lighting for entire video
by on Mar 30, 2016 at 2:39:43 pm

revision's deflicker should work great
http://revisionfx.com/products/deflicker/

or you can try my free ae template
https://f1.creativecow.net/6154/auto-white-balance-cs3-and-up

if you enable the text layer and scroll Gamma Clamp at gamma*10 so that the text box reads 25, it will
fix timelapse, old movie's flicker etc.

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: Fix changing/variable lighting for entire video
by on Mar 31, 2016 at 11:54:43 am

[Chris Wright] "if you enable the text layer and scroll Gamma Clamp at gamma*10 so that the text box reads 25, it will
fix timelapse, old movie's flicker etc."

The op isn't posting about timelapse flicker, he's talking about real time lighting shifts caused by passing clouds where the shifts occur smoothly over many seconds. This has nothing to do with "flicker."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Fix changing/variable lighting for entire video
by on Mar 31, 2016 at 1:10:16 pm

not to need to rush to the defense of a free program, but my template indead has an autodetect shadow filter as well.
and flicker can come from clouds, the only difference is clouds are just slower about doing it(ie. timelapse), that's why RE:deflicker works.

Return to posts index

John PaleRe: Fix changing/variable lighting for entire video
by on Mar 30, 2016 at 4:15:49 pm

You can try making two copies of the interview clip. Color correct it once at its brightest and once at its darkest. Then, layer them and key frame the opacity between the two.
You don't have to make it as perfect as you think you do, as long as the lighting changes do not happen abruptly.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Fix changing/variable lighting for entire video
by on Mar 30, 2016 at 10:07:26 pm

Here's another trick I did myself once. Lay out the entire clip on one track. Razor cut it where the lighting shifts, put either the light or dark video up one track, put an adjustment layer above that to make your corrections to all of the clips at once, and correct it until it matches the clip below.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Fix changing/variable lighting for entire video
by on Mar 30, 2016 at 11:11:19 pm

I have never seen anyone achieve an acceptable result using any of the techniques described above, but I'll be very happy to hear if any of these are not huge wastes of time that ultimately achieve nothing fruitful.

Having tried and failed at all of these, except using the plugin Chris mentioned, I'd make sure to try his solution first.

Good luck, and please do post your results whether you ultimately succeed or fail.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]