ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

XDCAM HD 422 Mov file won't open

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan McAlpineXDCAM HD 422 Mov file won't open
by on Mar 29, 2016 at 2:59:30 pm

I have a bunch of footage that was sent to me and I'm unable to open it on my PC. I tried opening them on a Mac and the only software that would open them was QT10. I tried MPEG StreamClip, Media Encoder, After Effects, QT7. Only 10 would open them and you can only export to H.264 from QT10.

Does anybody have experience with this file type? Here is a sample clip:

9929_jamesnicholsonclip1148.mov.zip

I just want to be able to transcode to a format I can use and will appreciate any solutions.

Thanks!

Nathan McAlpine
Commercial Producer

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: XDCAM HD 422 Mov file won't open
by on Mar 29, 2016 at 4:00:53 pm

Was this a file that was brought into FCP 7 from a camera original? If so, that's the issue. FCP will wrap files into a QT wrapper that for some reason is proprietary to FCP. HDV, DVCPRO HD, XDCAM...if FCP 7 was used to import, only a computer with FCP 7 can read them. OR...with QTX, they can be opened but it does so by converting...thus why your only option is to export H.264

You need to either ask for the camera original...or have someone with FCP 7 convert the file for you. THis is why you save the camera originals. So many people would convert the footage, and then save those conversions as masters, tossing the originals.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nathan McAlpineRe: XDCAM HD 422 Mov file won't open
by on Mar 29, 2016 at 4:51:47 pm

That could very well be what happened since it was a FCP editor who sent me the clips. I have FCP7 on my Mac at home. I'll see if I can open them there. As a solution for the workplace, do you think if we purchased the new Compressor that I would be able to open these files with that?

Nathan McAlpine
Commercial Producer

Return to posts index

James BrooksRe: XDCAM HD 422 Mov file won't open
by on Mar 29, 2016 at 8:38:16 pm

That file is definitely FCP-X and probably won't open in 7. Internally it is XAVC 50 mbit, and decodes fine as XAVC, but Shane is right. The fastest way is to get the camera original.

J

http://www.drastic.tv

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: XDCAM HD 422 Mov file won't open
by on Mar 29, 2016 at 10:52:05 pm

[Nathan McAlpine] " As a solution for the workplace, do you think if we purchased the new Compressor that I would be able to open these files with that?"

POSSIBLY...I've heard of people doing this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]