ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Effect Banding with multiple opacity layers

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam DillerPremiere Effect Banding with multiple opacity layers
by on Mar 28, 2016 at 9:16:54 pm

I'm working on a VFX sequence in Premiere - I know I probably should've tackled learning AE for this, but didn't - and I'm having an issue with banding.

The effect is adding layers of fog to material shot on a RED Epic. I'm adding the fog by using a series - up to 5 layers - of variously opaque smoke footage, shot at 4K.

I'm able to get the effect I want by using a combination of masking, Gaussian blur, and keyframed opacity. It looks ok, not amazing, but good enough for my situation.

My issue is that I'm getting pretty bad banding at some moments in the sequence. I've tried several different settings for my sequence previews and find that Prores4444 is looking the best.

Two questions:

1. Am I setting myself up for problems down the road if I make the sequence work in 4444? (will the banding just come back in 10bit HQ or 8bit h264?)

2. Does anyone have a good option for reducing banding on a sequence like this?

I'm sure responses will all be to learn aftereffects, but I haven't messed with it yet and don't really have the time at the moment.

THANKS for any ideas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]