ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

5k Edit Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Corcoran5k Edit Workflow
by on Mar 27, 2016 at 9:05:50 pm

Hi There,

I just finished a project shot on the Red Dragon 5k Raw in a mixture of ratios, Anamorphic, 16.9, 3:2. I am editing the project myself but have no experience working with Red (R3D) files.

I will be using Prem CC on a 2012 iMac. I'm looking for advice on how to go about the job with the most effective workflow considering the speed of the computer I will be using. Is it possible to edit the footage using a proxy sequence without having to transcode all of the footage? I have 4tb of footage which ideally I will not have to transcode. If I do have to transcode the footage what is the best codec to use?

Any suggestions regarding the workflow would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: 5k Edit Workflow
by on Mar 27, 2016 at 9:44:43 pm

You will absolutely have to transcode ALL of your footage. Since you did not mention what type of hard drive subsystem you have (RAID), and since no delivery spec was mentioned either, it's really not possible to gauge which proxy and pixel dimension is the best for your project, however it should probably be ProRes LT, using the same pixel dimensions as your final deliverable (***because any graphics you create, and any repositioning or compositing you do will not require adjustments).

Does this make sense to you?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Daniel CorcoranRe: 5k Edit Workflow
by on Mar 28, 2016 at 11:13:59 am

Hi,

I do not have a RAID system just using external HDD's. I will be looking to have a 4k copy available as it will be submitted to festivals (DCP) also a copy online 4k & 2k. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]