ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Color grading failure so far, using Canon .cube LUTs in Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron CraigColor grading failure so far, using Canon .cube LUTs in Premiere
by on Mar 27, 2016 at 12:13:48 am

I'm going to be receiving some 4k footage shot on a Canon C300 MKII. It will be shot in one of the Canon Log or Canon Log2 choices. I have downloaded the LUTs for the C300 MKII that Canon has posted on their website with .cube extensions and I tried them on some test footage but Premiere Pro CC 2015 does not recognize them. I've tried going to SpeedGrade, of course, but that doesn't work, either. The baked-in LUTs for Canon in SpeedGrade turn the footage purplish. I was able to get the Canon LUTs to work nicely in Resolve but I couldn't export a look from Resolve that would work in Premiere. Truthfully, I've spent hours on this and I need to find a solution.

Can anyone help me with getting LUTs that are aimed at C300 MKII footage to work in Premiere? Any help VERY gratefully accepted.

Return to posts index

Oliver PetersRe: Color grading failure so far, using Canon .cube LUTs in Premiere
by on Mar 27, 2016 at 12:42:02 am

Are you trying to access the LUTs using the Lumetri Color panel? This should work for .cube LUTs. Just browse to the LUT from within the panel and it will be applied.

But... Why are you working so hard to get the LUTs to work? The Canon log profile is pretty benign, so you can easily adjust the look with the normal grading tools. No LUT required.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Ron CraigRe: Color grading failure so far, using Canon .cube LUTs in Premiere
by on Mar 27, 2016 at 2:06:34 am

Thanks for your note, Oliver. Yes, I am trying to go through Lumetri. And I've tried it a number of different ways without success. I've done enough reading online now to know that some LUTs work with certain applications but not in others. That's the result I'm getting. I need the new Canon LUTs to work in Premiere.

Although I'm an amateur at color grading I do know, of course, that there are a variety of ways to do color. The reason I want to start the process with the Canon LUTs is that they've gone to the trouble to create LUTs that go with their LOGs so I think that will save me a lot of time an effort. I assume sometimes the Canon LUTs will be all I need and most times I'll have to tweak them. But making my post-production process efficient and high quality is my aim.

Any more help I can get on that question would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Color grading failure so far, using Canon .cube LUTs in Premiere
by on Mar 27, 2016 at 1:53:38 am

there's a lot of them so be prepared to research the exact lut you need.

http://www.thebrutesquad.com/c300mkii-c-log2-luts-for-premiere-pro/

Return to posts index

Ron CraigRe: Color grading failure so far, using Canon .cube LUTs in Premiere
by on Mar 27, 2016 at 2:06:45 am

Wow, Chris! "A lot" is great. That is SO appreciated.

I know what I'm doing for the next day...

Cheers,

Ron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]