ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Graphics card going out?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom LaughlinGraphics card going out?
by on Mar 22, 2016 at 7:32:47 pm
Last Edited By Tom Laughlin on Mar 22, 2016 at 7:35:20 pm

While editing in Premiere Pro today, suddenly, my Mac starts to act weird: all apps freeze up and I get these huge pixel boxes all over my "left" screen, of the two monitors, my main monitor on the left - that's where it's crazy...

I'm running Premiere 9.2 on OS 10.9.5, all drivers up to date, and my "NVidia Quadro 4000" running my "left" screen, I think is going out... I've got it set on using GPU-Acceleration-CUDA. Can you let me know what I'm seeing?

Bought this Mac Pro Tower rebuilt, and I'll include the specs...

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: Graphics card going out?
by on Mar 22, 2016 at 8:16:50 pm

It can be both a faulty graphic card (apple is replacing my laptop's motherboard right now because of a similar problem) or a Cuda issue...
In that case try upgrading Cuda at first and if the problem persists the workaround is to uninstall cuda and use opencl. ..
If you google "premiere Yosemite cuda" you'll find a lot on that...
I know you're not on Yosemite but, as far as I know, some user experienced the problem on the last release of mavericks too...

Return to posts index

Tom LaughlinRe: Graphics card going out? (RESOLVED!)
by on Mar 27, 2016 at 7:55:15 pm

Thank you Pierpaulo!!

So, from after carefully looking, it appears that I had updated from Premiere Pro 9.1 to 9.2 a few weeks ago. And it wasn't until I was working on a more "graphically intensive" edit, in Premiere, that lots of photos and text layers started behaving "erratically", as you see the screenshots in my post.

After my response from Pierpaulo, I checked, and sure enough, my Nvidia cuda had a new update available, so I installed it, and everything seems to be working fine at present. The eratic behavior seemed to be happening only inside of Premiere Pro, and not with general regular computer use, so I figured, may be it is needing the update, so I updated the CUDA driver for my Mac version Nvidia Quadro 4000, and ALL seems to be well, for now....

I also heard that other editors have had the "same issues", when running OSX 10.9.5, with their older NVidia cards, and the newest versions of Premiere. So I guess, lesson learned! Check video card updates after every Premiere Pro update!!

Thank you Pierpaulo!!

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]