ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro Media Cache behaviors

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JD MarlowPremiere Pro Media Cache behaviors
by on Mar 20, 2016 at 10:44:58 pm

Hi everyone,

Perhaps someone can answer this question for me, because I find it confounding.

When moving a project and it's associated media from one volume to another (along with the media cache), why is it that Adobe Premiere has to write completely new files to the cache for the same media? It just adds a "_1" at the end of the file. So, in order to avoid having duplicate media, I have to delete my cache and basically start over having Premiere create it if I migrate the project to a different drive. What a waste of time.

Is there a reason Premiere doesn't understand that the same cache files apply to the same clips, even if they are in a different location? Anyone have a decent work around for this?

JD Marlow
jd@jdmarlow.com
http://www.jdmarlow.com

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Premiere Pro Media Cache behaviors
by on Mar 21, 2016 at 3:21:13 pm

Cache files are, in my experience, one of the little oddities of Premiere Pro. Even though I will assign cache files to a folder on another drive, it still writes some files into the C:\ drive on the machine. I will occasionally have to go back and clean them all out to keep the C:\ drive from filling up.

As for writing new files after you move the project and also bring along the original cache files? That's another mystery.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]