ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

looking to render with lossless codec and format.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JonZ MarZlooking to render with lossless codec and format.
by on Mar 17, 2016 at 6:18:45 pm

My project is starting to have weird bugs occurring at random occasion with 'Unknown errors' (yeah really). This is a long project with many kind of footage took from DSLR, mobile phone, DV etc, and many use of Dynamic links... Tried everything in my knowledge to fix these problems but now I'm stuck.

My only way to render the project final is to make a lossless render of the movie project in several parts and take it to final post editing. The problem is every codec and format I tried always mess with the quality. The colorspace for most will be altered, red will become less saturated, or colors on some shots will be slightly shifted. The codec I tried was QT codec - animation and none, and Lagarith. Both had some colorshifts on many scenes.

I look for a solution codec settings that will not affect the colorspace in my current timeline. Btw, I'm on PC, I know that some codecs are only available for Macs.

Is what I look for is doable?

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: looking to render with lossless codec and format.
by on Mar 17, 2016 at 7:19:43 pm

Those codecs are all very high data rate ones. Take up tons of space and are hard pressed to be played back smoothly on anything other than a very VERY fast RAID array. Animation really is only used to export out graphics in a lossless format to then be converted to the editing codec for the editors.

And if you are using a mobile phone...a DSLR...and DV...that's all WAY OVERKILL for editing. ON a PC, DNxHD is a good codec to use. It's an industry standard, and a mastering format used in broadcast TV. Yes, it compresses the footage, but in high end ways. Again...used in broadcast TV mastering.

DNxHD 175 is a good one, as is 220. Or you can go 10 bit and use 175x or 220x. or even higher with DNxHR...12 bit! And the codecs are free...just google AVID CODEC DOWNLOAD and look for the SE versions (those are the ones that ship separate from the Avid software)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZRe: looking to render with lossless codec and format.
by on Mar 17, 2016 at 8:37:49 pm
Last Edited By JonZ MarZ on Mar 17, 2016 at 8:45:34 pm

I don't like the idea of using lossy codecs, even for your standards. The reason is I prefer to preserve as much of the histogram and quality intact for adding effects afterwards and to be on par with color correction. I don't have problem to use high data rate codec really. I've been handling these for age. I have the equipment to handle it. My real issue here is I can't find one that doesn't shake the colors of the timeline footage.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: looking to render with lossless codec and format.
by on Mar 17, 2016 at 11:18:04 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Mar 17, 2016 at 11:48:09 pm

are you looking for 8 bit, 10 bit, or 16 bit lossless video codecs? image sequences?
the smallest lossless 8 bit I know of is quicktime PNG. It's pretty small, almost as small as jpeg.
the smallest image sequence is PNG. The smallest image sequence at 16bit without a single bit change is Tif lzw compression off. EXR is the same size as DPX

for lossy, yea I know
DNxHR 444 - Finishing Quality (12-bit 4:4:4) (Cinema-quality delivery)
Cineform Film scan 2:
FS2 "Overkill" -when you have very demanding post workflow

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: looking to render with lossless codec and format.
by on Mar 18, 2016 at 5:26:00 am

DPX, TIFF or EXR would fit the bill and are industry standards in post.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]