ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

FS7 XAVCI 1080p 24, Is it good idea to cut a feature film shot on XAVCI 1080p natively on premiere CC? or transcoding to pro res proxy?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eui Yong ZongFS7 XAVCI 1080p 24, Is it good idea to cut a feature film shot on XAVCI 1080p natively on premiere CC? or transcoding to pro res proxy?
by on Mar 17, 2016 at 6:14:20 am

Hi, I'm assistant editing on a feature documentary.

We shot on FS7 XAVCI 1080p 24, do you think Premiere CC would be able to handle editing this natively?

Or do you think all the footages should be transcoded to pro res proxy ?

Anyone has experience with this? problems? or success?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: FS7 XAVCI 1080p 24, Is it good idea to cut a feature film shot on XAVCI 1080p natively on premiere CC? or transcoding to pro res proxy?
by on Mar 17, 2016 at 7:13:33 am

I would transcode to ProRes 422 or HQ, depending on hard drive space available, and edit away without an unnecessary conform at the end of the project. In any case, whatever codec you decide upon, I do think you'll be happier and more productive editing any of the ProRes flavors, cuz they are hi-performance codecs that simply playback better in realtime when working on long-form projects.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: FS7 XAVCI 1080p 24, Is it good idea to cut a feature film shot on XAVCI 1080p natively on premiere CC? or transcoding to pro res proxy?
by on Mar 17, 2016 at 11:06:17 am

I edited Sony FS7 1080p footage on a 27' iMac last summer.... Premiere handles those files natively but I totally agree with David...
Transcode them to ProRes HQ... You will get better performance and you won't need to conform them later...

Return to posts index

Eui Yong ZongRe: FS7 XAVCI 1080p 24, Is it good idea to cut a feature film shot on XAVCI 1080p natively on premiere CC? or transcoding to pro res proxy?
by on Mar 17, 2016 at 5:22:54 pm

Thank you very much David and Pierpaolo!

So I guess even though the XAVCI is supported by CC, it's still too slow to cut natively for a large project right?

and if I transcode to Pro Res HQ, it retains the level of quality of the raw sources? so I wouldn't have to relink/reconform back to them?

Thank you so much,

Yong

Return to posts index

Eui Yong ZongRe: FS7 XAVCI 1080p 24, Is it good idea to cut a feature film shot on XAVCI 1080p natively on premiere CC? or transcoding to pro res proxy?
by on Mar 17, 2016 at 5:35:59 pm

One other question!

There's a chance I may have to transcode to pro res proxy, because of the storage issue.

My concern is:

We shot on two cameras, A cam - FS7, B cam - AS72
A Cam's clips had unique file names by dates and everything.
But with B Cam, it didn't have a function to customize the file naming scheme, that each shoot it generated
same clip names, for instance from c0001 - c0002, and it would repeat the next shoot, each shoot.

So I'm afraid this would cause issues with relinking at the end?
Does anyone have a solution to this?
I'm trying to transcode using Davinchi, and maybe assigning clips from each shoot unique reel names, I hope that could help,
but just wanted to confirm if there's a definitive solution so I can prevent major problems down the road.

Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: FS7 XAVCI 1080p 24, Is it good idea to cut a feature film shot on XAVCI 1080p natively on premiere CC? or transcoding to pro res proxy?
by on Mar 19, 2016 at 3:52:01 pm

I never edited footage from a as72 so you should wait for someone else to help but dealing with footage that doesn't have unique file and/or reel names is very tricky especially in an offline / online workflow so I would probably go for Prores HQ with those files, assign them their original name and appending the card name as reference (so you'll have, for example, c0001_card1 c0002_card1 then c0001_card2 c0002_card2) and even assign a reel name to the transcoded files if possible... obviously I won't conform them to the original xavci when the editing is done...
but as I said I never edited as72 files and hopefully there's a better way to deal with them...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]