ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Problem exporting AAF from Premiere & Opening it in Avid Media Composer

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott ClementsProblem exporting AAF from Premiere & Opening it in Avid Media Composer
by on Mar 16, 2016 at 1:37:51 pm

Hi,

I sound mixed a film in Premiere. I then tried to export an AAF and open it in Avid Media Composer, but met with so many problems (chiefly Avid's very low track limit of 24) that I decided to mix down my tracks as much as possible in Premiere, before exporting another AAF. So, I went through and exported all my tracks to about 12 stereo tracks of 48kHz 16 bit wavs. Once I had all the wavs in the Premiere timeline, I exported another AAF from Premiere. When I brought it into Avid, it said all my clips were 29.97 (despite being exported from a 24 fps timeline).

Avid would not let me batch import these sound clips, because I was in a 24fps project and the clips were falsely considered 29.97 (for whatever weird reason). I tried importing the clips again as 24fps, which I was able to do, but when I tried laying them over the offline AAF-created timeline, the clips all fell short in length.

This doesn't make any sense to me. The wavs are not assigned any frame rate and both my Premiere and Avid sequences are 24fps (So, I have no idea why the clips are flagged as 29.97)

In my experience, Premiere often doesn't export proper AAFs - either that, or Avid can't read them. Sometimes picture comes across ok, but I've never gotten sound to translate properly - This is why I went to all the effort of mixing down to a lower number of 48 kHz 16 bit wavs first.

I even tried exporting an FCP XML from Premiere, opening it in FCP and then exporting an AAF from there, via Automatic duck. However, after new .wav files were created and I tried to open everything in media composer, the sound was all distorted into high pitched digital noise.

Does anyone know how I can get my 24 fps sequence from Premiere into a 24fps sequence in Avid? It should be a very simple thing, but it's proving not to be. Thanks for reading.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Trevor AsquerthianRe: Problem exporting AAF from Premiere & Opening it in Avid Media Composer
by on Mar 18, 2016 at 8:25:33 am

Avid does now have more than 24 tracks. It was a long time coming.

I think the incorrect 29.97 flag for your Ppro wavs shows up an underlying issue Adobe have with wav handling. (I recently tried to transfer a sequence contains wavs between cc2015 computers via xml & the wavs were out of sync & showing up in timeline as longer than the clips they linked to)

PPro AAFs (which Adobe only claim to be compatible with MC) are still a work in progress.

Avids AAF interchange is much more mature and probably has some proprietary voodoo in there.

PPRO <-> MC or ProTools is a much newer beast. They have come along a lot in the last few versions.

The more folks use it, and report problems in a concise & repeatable form, the quicker this stuff gets fixed. Previously large organisations (manufacturers & users) would do this R&D.

Feedback your problems, with repeatable errors, to adobe.com/go/wish to stand a chance of seeing them fixed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]