ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Audio Channel Confusion.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve DaggAudio Channel Confusion.
by on Mar 15, 2016 at 2:28:33 am

hi there,

i'm scratching my head on this, can't seem to figure it out.

i have an AVCHD clip, with LAV on one channel and SHOTGUN mic on the other.

when i drag it on the timeline, it combines the two L and R channels into one audio channel (A1). but the confusing part is, it just started happening, seemingly out of nowhere.

when i first started the project, this wasn't happening at all. even the exact same clip that worked (meaning, the audio was split into L and R, A1/A2) are having the same problem.

i've attached a screen shot.

thank you for any help! new to premiere.. coming from FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Audio Channel Confusion.
by on Mar 15, 2016 at 7:20:45 am

You can set your default audio track import under preferences - audio - default audio tracks. You can also change the audio channel routing/type by right clicking a file in the project window and choosing modify - audio channels. Note that these changes do not apply to clips that are already in the sequence.

Return to posts index

Steve DaggRe: Audio Channel Confusion.
by on Mar 15, 2016 at 12:45:34 pm

thank you so much, will try that now!

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Audio Channel Confusion.
by on Mar 15, 2016 at 1:47:02 pm

Hi Steve,

Something that might help your edit workflow is the FILL LEFT and FILL RIGHT audio effects. If your LAV is on L channel and you apply FILL LEFT, then you will hear the LAV on both the L & R channels and the Shotgun is then muted. And vice versa for FILL RIGHT.

I use these effects a lot with wedding ceremony footage. Two ways I do it.

One is to make Razor cuts at each point that I want to switch mics, then apply FILL LEFT or RIGHT to each segment as desired to switch between Lav and Shotgun source. I drop a quick Audio Dissolve at each cut to avoid pops.

Second way I might use is to Copy/Paste the audio track so I have two copies of it. Apply FILL LEFT to one and FILL RIGHT to the other. Now you have independent clips for each mic and can easily mix volume between the two by adding keyframes and ramping volume as desired.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Steve DaggRe: Audio Channel Confusion.
by on Mar 16, 2016 at 3:29:18 am

thank you, Jeff - i didn't know that trick but will try it. much appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]