ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Killing shadows on whiteboard

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul CampbellKilling shadows on whiteboard
by on Mar 15, 2016 at 1:26:04 am

Hi. I've shot some video of an artist drawing sketches on a whiteboard using a black Sharpie. Despite flooding the workspace with a couple 300w softboxes, I'm still getting a touch of shadow being cast from the artist's hand as he draws. This by itself wouldn't be a big deal in realtime, but my endgame is to speed the animations up to about 1000%. Speeding up this much has the unfortunate effect of causing a "strobing" as his hand shadow passes over something that he's already drawn. This temporarily makes the lines a tad darker for the duration of the shadow, which is really noticeable when it's going that fast. I've tried crushing blacks, messing with input levels, etc to try to smooth this artifact out, but can't quite seem to hit it outta the park. I'd love to get some suggestions, please. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Killing shadows on whiteboard
by on Mar 15, 2016 at 2:26:46 am

if I understand you correctly, you need to stabilize the "written" color so that the added shadow doesn't make it darker and flicker. Try Re:deflicker.
http://revisionfx.com/products/deflicker/

Return to posts index

Paul CampbellRe: Killing shadows on whiteboard
by on Mar 15, 2016 at 2:46:56 am

Thanks, Chris. I just watched the samples and it looks like this would definitely work...but that pricetag, ouch.

I suppose the best solution is for me to work on my lighting technique. Maybe move a 3rd light in to try knocking out that hand shadow. Thanks again for that suggestion. It really does seem nice.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Killing shadows on whiteboard
by on Mar 15, 2016 at 3:49:31 am

if you can't reshoot,

1. try AE's color stabilize black point

2. you could try keying out the shadows with a luma key
then running this template on just the shadows as an alpha matte.
It would auto keyframe the shadow/highlight effect
if you enable the text layer and scroll Gamma Clamp at gamma*10 so that the text box reads 25, it will
fix timelapse and old movie's flicker.
https://f1.creativecow.net/6154/auto-white-balance-cs3-and-up

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]