ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Delayed playback (yellow lines) with H264 files

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther CasasDelayed playback (yellow lines) with H264 files
by on Mar 14, 2016 at 9:13:14 pm

Hello everybody!

Ok, so I have a simple question...I thought I could figure it out myself troubleshooting, but can't seem to have my system on my side today, so you might be able to help me out.

I have the latest Mac Pro in a OS X Yosemite system:
64 GB 1866 MHz Memory, 2.7 GHz 12-Core, so a bomb.

I never had playback issues until today...I keep getting the yellow playback line and can't seem to get a Smooth playback.

The clips I am using are H264 codec 1920 X 1080 (linear PCM), and I set up the sequences from the actual clips, so they have the same settings as the clips, I get:

Sony XDCAM HD422 19080 NTSC
Preview file format: XDCAM HD 50 NTSC

On PLAYBACK SETTINGS in premiere CC I have "enable mercury transmit" checked. And I cleaned up the cashe database folder already, same bad playback. I also tried customizing my seq settings to a "custom" set up and a I-Frame only MPEG playback, and finally tried custom and play back to quicktime, and I get the same bad playback with yellow lines...

Anybody has ideas on how to get this to play smoothly?

Thank you!!!

Return to posts index

Esther CasasRe: Delayed playback (yellow lines) with H264 files
by on Mar 14, 2016 at 9:27:44 pm

Forgot to mention that in the same sequence I have a mix of H264 quicktime files (.mov) and then .MXF files...

Is this the issue? can't find the correct playback to have both on same seq?
If so, what is the best solution?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Delayed playback (yellow lines) with H264 files
by on Mar 14, 2016 at 9:55:58 pm

Ester,

Unlike FCP, which is most likely your frame of reference, the red, yellow, and green lines you're referring to do not indicate a need to render. Premiere will play virtually anything without rendering.

On the other hand, if you're experiencing realtime playback performance issues, that's typically caused by one or more of the following issues:

1) not enough hard drive throughout - in which case you need a RAID of two or more drives stripped together.

2) you don't have the Adobe Mercury Playback Engine enabled, or you don't have the proper video card (or drivers) installed in your computer

3) your computer is simply not got the CPU power to playback the video you're trying to edit

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 14, 2016 at 10:11:00 pm

Hello David!

thks for your help, I have a question regarding your thoughts, it might be option 2, as the rest I know are not the issue, as I have enough space and also :

2) you don't have the Adobe Mercury Playback Engine enabled, or you don't have the proper video card (or drivers) installed in your computer

I thought that was enabled in playback settings "enable mercury transmit", which it is. I am trying to find online how to enable this in CC, but only find it in CS6? is this what I have enabled already?

I also have an AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB for graphics, not sure if that is any info that could help..?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

by on Mar 14, 2016 at 10:17:22 pm

Ok, I just saw that when new project in premiere CC, you can use

-Mercury Playback GPU Acceleration (Open CL)

OR

- Mercury Playback engine software only optio

which one of these 2 are best for what I am trying to do?

thank you!

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Delayed playback (yellow lines) with H264 files
by on Mar 15, 2016 at 12:53:38 am

Open CL is for your card Esther - for future reference, Nvidia cards use a similar feature called Cuda.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Delayed playback (yellow lines) with H264 files
by on Mar 15, 2016 at 4:23:00 pm

[Esther Casas] "I thought that was enabled in playback settings "enable mercury transmit", which it is. I am trying to find online how to enable this in CC, but only find it in CS6? is this what I have enabled already?"

Enable Mercury Transmit is for sending the signal to an external monitor via an I/O device like an AJA Kona card or a BlackMagic Mini Monitor box.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]