ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Framerate dilemma - Delivery

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew EvansFramerate dilemma - Delivery
by on Mar 14, 2016 at 12:03:12 pm

My company has returned from LA to London with a series of edits consisting of a two camera setup produced by a local freelancer.

I normally capture all footage and final edits in 25fps as these are usually for upload online and preview on computer by the client. I have two issues:

1. The footage isn't in 25fps. Is this an issue for playback a) online or b) on computers and screens in europe? The first draft (at 29.97 fps) plays back fine on my computer.

2. Secondly, the footage has been shot in 23.976 fps for camera one & 29.97 fps for camera two on day-one of a two-day shoot There doesn't seem to be any issues between the differing frame rate footage when rendered at 29.97 fps.

- Is there anything I should be looking out for in advance of delivering these videos for use online and on computer at this frame rate?

- Would it be worth aligning all footage in the correct frame rate before progressing with the edits?

Thanks,

Matt

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Framerate dilemma - Delivery
by on Mar 23, 2016 at 10:55:45 pm

the best answer I can give is tell you how premiere handles various framerates. Any normal drag and drop into a sequence, premiere defaults to speed conforming that clip to the sequence speed. If the framerates are too different, it will be noticeable. The exception to this is 23.976 which premiere will automatically convert to 3:2 pulldown to 29.97 fps.(slightly studdery because frames are duplicated)

Another exception is, if you use frame blend or pixel motion, they convert the clip's framerate optically to the sequence's fps without changing speed.

PAL land is 50i so I don't know what your final output is.
23.976 is often speeded up to 25 for PAL, but since you also have 29.97, you will have to choose how many things you want to look like "film on tv" or optically convert them. According to your post,
I agree with 29.97 as your sequence and conforming everything else to that.(as long as that's your final playback device's specifications)

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Framerate dilemma - Delivery
by on Mar 23, 2016 at 11:10:49 pm

So you want to deliver 25fps...progressive I assume as you say "for the web." But it was shot 23.98 and 29.97. (Yes, 23.98 will look OK in a 29.97 interlaced project...but that's not at all what you want).

Can I ask why the US production shot not only TWO DIFFERENT frame rates...but neither one compatible with the final delivery? This is an issue that should have been tackled before production even started.

My advice...you'll need to do a proper standards conversion of all the footage before you begin editing. This means routing though hardware like a terranex, to convert the 23.98 and 29.97 to 25fps.

Is the final destination the web? or TV?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]